Please Help Me Figure Out How To Hang Heavy Bag In Basement. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Please help me figure out how to hang heavy bag in basement.

Hello there,

I am trying to figure out how to hang my heavy bag on my finished basement ceiling. I just bought the house and there are some unfinished parts of the basement and I can see that it has I-joists with the web made of OSB. I was wondering how to go about this the safest way in that I don’t wreck the house.

I already read this thread:

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/20676

..but I am not a construction guy and a lot of the terms are flying over my head. Also, the very last post by Nbeener doesn’t show the pics.

I was going to use this:

http://www.superbaghanger.com/THESUPERBAGHANGER.html

But since I have I joists, I am not sure if this will be feasible.

1. Is the OSB and the I-joist type of beam, in general, strong enough to hang a heavy bag on. My bag is approximately 100 lbs.

2. The pic shows regular beams and since the joists are I-joists, this would mean that there would be more distance from web to web, so I might have to reinforce it with some plywood, maybe? To cover the distance?
I’ve researched a few other methods as well such as the other one proposed by Nbeener where one could:
“use 26’s (or whatever), and build a platform across two of the joists, using long, beefy lag screws, and then hang the “standard” hanger from there.”

or..

http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/vi...hp?f=9&t=45347

or…

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/back...lp-needed.html

My worries with the plank across methods is that one would have to screw the plank onto the lower flanges of the I-joist vertically and I’m concerned if this would be secure enough.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Jonathan

p.s. Sorry I can't figure out how to link links and pics..

Advertisement

Last edited by llO0DQLE; 04-04-2013 at 07:51 PM.
llO0DQLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

put up a few pieces of 4x8 3/4" plywood positioned out centrally from the position of the bag( say-4 pieces total) and then put a 2x8 across the ply perindicular to the joists bolted up through the ply and into each joist it crosses above with Spax or Timber Tite lag screws. put a bunch of fasteners into the plywood connecting it to the joists above (this prevents lateral movement transferred to joists while bag swings to and fro). nails should be used for the plywood to joists connection as they have sheer strength-lateral resistance , nail guns make short work as compared to hand driving a nail.

add another 2x8 under the first and bolt up through both 2x's into joists above with longer bolts and then bolt the bag to both 2x's at the center of it all...

example.. find center of bag location. start first piece of ply wood running long ways across the joists with the ends breaking/centering on the joists and the edge of the ply centered over bag location. then go out 2 pieces either direction totaling 4 pieces.

actually just 3 pieces of ply should suffice, center the first middle piece of ply and then add one more to both sides then add an 8' 2x8 bolting up through to the joists and then the other 2x8 bolted up through the first and into joists as well with longer bolts.. last is to bolt the bag to the 2x8's...

Advertisement

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Drill a 1.5 inch hole through the center of two adjacent I joists joists, level with each other. SLide a piece of 1.25 inch black or galvanized pipe through hole, back through other side, and put a cap on both ends. Drill a 1.5" hole through the center of a 16 inch piece of 2 x 8. Rip in half to form two pieces with saddles. Place saddles up under pipe between two joists with cross pipe, Glue and back screw. Throw chain around pipe and hang bag with clevis. Block between joists with pipe with 2 x 8.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 608

I also would suggest putting up a sheet of heavy plywood to distribute the load over as large an area as possible. Three or four sheets seem like overkill to me, however. I did something like that once and used a sheet perhaps 2' x 3' x 1". But I was mounting to true 2 x 10's. If you have I joists, they can take a lot of load directly vertical, but not nearly so strong to a side load.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
I also would suggest putting up a sheet of heavy plywood to distribute the load over as large an area as possible. Three or four sheets seem like overkill to me, however. I did something like that once and used a sheet perhaps 2' x 3' x 1". But I was mounting to true 2 x 10's. If you have I joists, they can take a lot of load directly vertical, but not nearly so strong to a side load.

2 sheets are probably enough to get a strong lateral enforcement in place but some I joists are flimsy by design and do not work to well with blocking and what not so the plywood would take up for that fact...the more the better
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement , floor joists , hanger , heavy bag , i-joists