Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #1

Share |

Please help with concrete front porch and step

Hi, I need help with what to do on my (small) front porch. I have a small front porch made of concrete that has a couple of cracks. The cracks seem to have been patched at some point (likely right before I bought the house, 2 years ago), but the patches came out, and one of the cracks even shows through. I can't see very well because it's a small hole, but seems as if it was hollow under. The porch is not very high and has only one step leading to it, no railing around. The step may have to be replaced but I may get a precast concrete step that looks just like it, or something else, depending on what I do on the porch. Here is where your help will be appreciated: I was hoping I could keep what is there, but I am open to the possibility of tearing all down. Can I pour a concrete slab on top of my porch? if so how thick, 4"? do I need to put in some rebar? One alternative I thought is to put bricks on top, that would cover the cracks, would not be slippery and would match the house siding? any thoughts? Lastly, if I have to take it down, then what? cinderblocks? Thanks in advance.
Martin

mdambrosio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
NACE Coating Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharperCleaning View Post
Thanks for sharing this nice post with us. I think it would be nice to run it the full width of the porch. If you do that, I would keep the plantings by the garage low, so that the step doesn't get buried in taller bushes as you look at the front of the house.
say what? did i miss something?

mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
NACE Coating Inspector

need more info on your porch. is there a coating/ paint on the concrete now? how big are the cracks? what does your siding look like? post some pics. cinderblocks???
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike3789 View Post
say what? did i miss something?
Whew, I thought I was having another golden moment there. That must have been some strong coffee this morning.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike3789 View Post
need more info on your porch. is there a coating/ paint on the concrete now? how big are the cracks? what does your siding look like? post some pics. cinderblocks???
Thank you for your answer. No, there is no paint or coating, what it does have is like small (decorative?) stones. I took pics, with measure tape included to show size of the cracks. The siding I did not take I think, it looks as if the top 4 inches are a cap that is sitting on the siding that is also concrete but with none of the little stones. The cinderblocks are just an idea in case I have to take it all down. Again, any help will be appreciated.
Martin
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #6

have you tried concrete patch for now?
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by federer View Post
have you tried concrete patch for now?
Thanks. No, actually I didn't. It was obviously patched at one point (like I said, likely just before I bought the house), but the patches came out. Do you recommend patching it again?