Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #1

Share |

PLEASE HELP: basement foundation issues

Hi there. I purchased a 1920s Connecticut home with a finished basement. We have had leaking in strong rains (the water rolls along the floor from behind the drywall so i have not yet seen the source of the water -- some say from underneath the floor due to hydrostatic pressure and some say the wall is the culprit) and its been frustrating to get someone to try and diagnose the issue because they always come in after the leak is finished and can only take an educated guess. They are good contractors but they have incomplete information.

So i tore down the drywall along the wall that has been leaking and found the following: (1) well batting insulation installed right against the foundation wall - no breathing space (2) crumbling parging along the wall (3) moist areas where the parging has failed and (4) crystalline white powdery substance around the cracks which i assume is efflourescence.

After checking gutters/leader drains (i have the old style leader drains where the leaders go into drains next to the house and tie into the sewer line under the house - hoping to abandon those to run roof water to daylight) i think i will possibly need to repair this foundation since it looks like water is in there good. Also FYI - this wall is the high part of the grade on my lot and the yard drainage is poor at best. There is a blue stone patio against this wall on the outside so the pitch is flat at best next to the house. I imagine the water just pouring against the wall down there from the yard.

Ive attached pictures for people to review and advise.

My question is: how bad is this wall? would you recommend an exterior solution (excavate, clean, repair, install waterproof membrane) or interior solution (repair cracks, reparge, etc.) or both?

Also - any general advice?

Thanks all. Much appreciated in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
PLEASE HELP: basement foundation issues-basement1.jpg   PLEASE HELP: basement foundation issues-basement2.jpg   PLEASE HELP: basement foundation issues-basement3.jpg  

whkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #2

see above post "basement walls leak"

masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:15 AM   #3

parging's a waste of time/mtls,,, you best bet's to excavate & waterproof from the outside,,, 2nd best bet's to install drain & sump on the inside,,, there are NO materials to resolve this issue you can find ( or anyone can find ) to fix it from the inside,,, moving your downspouts will be mention'd by other along w/positive drainage,,, they're better'n a sharp stick in the eye but won't fix it, either.

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, drainage, foundation, leak, waterproof