Please Help!!!! - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Please Help!!!!

Less than a month ago I bought my first home and today I found something very wrong. Last night I kept hearing a leak and followed the noise to the floor vent in the restroom. This morning my friend and I went into the crawl space to take a look around and found a big puddle next the the air duct. I then checked the AC coils located underneath the furnace and found water mixed with large deposits of rust. It seemed that the drainage pipe had been clogged for a while and that the previous owner had neglected to address the issue. We took a shop vac to the drainage pipe and removed alot of water and debris. I thought that the problem was resolved but it wasn't. The wood underneath has rotted and the furnace unit has sunk tremendously...so much so that the drainage pipe sits a few inches above the where it is supposed to. In addition, the drop also caused a it to tilt so now the water runs in the opposite direction of the drainage pipe. I know the wood needs to replaced but I don't know whether to remove the unit or try lifting the unit with a floor jack or really how to do either? Help please!!! I desperately need ideas and suggestions. I start medical school in two weeks so money is tight and time is running out. Thank you
Attached Imageshttp://www.diychatroom.com/attachmen...d=118502838 5 http://www.diychatroom.com/attachmen...d=118502840 0

Advertisement

ozzie56723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Please Help!!!!

It would not be advisable to try to "jack" up the floor and unit together. Call a few HVAC guys for an estimate and see if they would be willing to lift it up and place a section of new sub floor under the unit so the condensation drain will function.

Advertisement

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #3

Please Help!!!!

If I may ask why? Is it because of too much tension.
ozzie56723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:27 AM   #4

Please Help!!!!

Its good that you noticed that earlier....now you have to just remove it and replace it as soon as possible so that more problems can be stopped..Dont worry such kind of things happen But be careful to check other corners of the house too!!!
citybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote