Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Please comment on my porch roof design

I want to run a porch roof design past you guys for review. I am a finish carpenter and cabinetmaker with some framing experience. I don't profess to know all about framing so I need some design help. We live in a 2 story colonial house built around 1940. The street side is about 40' wide. It has the front door centered and a window centered on each side of that, 1st and 2nd story. The windows have old metal awnings that cover half of the windows and stick out about 3'. My wife wants the awnings OFF! I think the front of the house will look scalped because it will be totally flat, then. I would like to put a porch type roof on all across the 40', without the porch underneath. The reason being, we are in Minnesota and a porch would have to have footings below frost line to be attached to the house. My plan is to install a ledger about 1' under the 2nd story windows and attach triangle trusses to the ledger with metal straps on top and brackets on the sides. At the bottom, I would install another ledger and attach the trusses with brackets to that ledger. I would close in the ends, sheat the top and underside, shingle the roof and install flashing, and trim it off with facia. I might add an accent gable roof over the door area for looks. For added support I would build 4 giant brackets, 4' out and 6' down with a scalloped diagonal. 2 would go at the ends and the other 2 would be centered in between. That is my design. Now I have another question...Can I build this right over the existing 10" masonite siding or do I need to cut that away and attach to the sheating underneath? Please give me your feedback. Thanks for any response.

MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Another duplicate.

Last edited by titanoman; 02-09-2012 at 07:00 PM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Duplicate

Last edited by titanoman; 02-09-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Disabled wood vet

Could work.
So you don't want any posts, right?
This is just going to be an awning all the way across?
Might look odd w/o posts though.
How far out is it going to come, 4'?
About what pitch will you end up with?
You'll be able to leave the siding in tact, except you'de be relying on a trim board over flashing where the roof meets the wall.
And a gable would help allot; you don't want the awning to just be an extension of the blah-ness of the big blank wall.

Last edited by titanoman; 02-09-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #5

That's right, no posts. I don't want to go through the whole process of digging footings, etc, nor the expense. I have to scale it out so that a 4 x 8 sheet covers the trusses, so a little less than 4' sticking out from the house. I am thinking it will go within a few inches of each end of the 40' width. I will probably stay in a little so I don't run into problems finishing the ends. The big brackets underneath should make up for the oddness of not having posts. I have to figure out what the pitch will be yet...I am guessing about 4/12.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 520

Won't pass when you try to pull permit.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,152

Do yourself a favor, get rid of the masoninte siding before you add the porch.
Many years ago there was class action suites againt them for all the rot and leaks from something as simple as an over nailed piece.
It's ground up cardboard.
When you try and remove some of it to add flasing it's just going to fall apart.
Your design idea also makes 0 since.

Last edited by joecaption; 02-09-2012 at 07:26 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Do yourself a favor, get rid of the masoninte siding before you add the porch.
Many years ago there was class action suites againt them for all the rot and leaks from something as simple as an over nailed piece.
It's ground up cardboard.
When you try and remove some of it to add flasing it's just going to fall apart.
Your design idea also makes 0 since.
I have tried to load some pictures of our house and another house in town that has a short roof over their entry with the big brackets holding it up, but my picture files are too big and won't load. Explain why you think this idea makes no sense. Also, I have heard about the lawsuits in the past. Is there anything we can do about this siding anymore? We are planning to paint the house this summer. So far I have not seen any peeling, bulging, or other defects on this house. I have seen other houses in town that do have this siding and look horrible. We are hoping a good paint job will keep ours looking good. We thought about tearing the siding off, insulating and putting new siding on, but can't handle the bill right now. Please give more input.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNsawyergp

I have tried to load some pictures of our house and another house in town that has a short roof over their entry with the big brackets holding it up, but my picture files are too big and won't load. Explain why you think this idea makes no sense. Also, I have heard about the lawsuits in the past. Is there anything we can do about this siding anymore? We are planning to paint the house this summer. So far I have not seen any peeling, bulging, or other defects on this house. I have seen other houses in town that do have this siding and look horrible. We are hoping a good paint job will keep ours looking good. We thought about tearing the siding off, insulating and putting new siding on, but can't handle the bill right now. Please give more input.
That siding can last forever if you keep it sealed with a good coat of paint.