DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Playhouse siding

7K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  garethcooper9 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've built a pirateship playhouse and opted to use decking as the siding (to look more shiplike) and did not use any plywood sheathing underneath. It seems rigid enough at first, but now that the wood has dried out, the framing has a lot a lateral movement. I'm hoping for ideas that avoid removing the siding boards and adding plywood sheathing. The cabin is a basic 4 x 6 playhouse framing set up (plus a bow section, unattached to the cabin framing).

I'm a beginner builder, so hopefully someone has some ideas that I'm not aware of, so that I don't just go our there and start adding 2x4s and hoping that will solve it...

Thanks!

#4 ·
Did you use 2, screws anyplace the deck boards came in contact with the 2 X 4's?
Those 2 X 2 balisters also need to go you have the rope attached to and be replaced with a 2 X 4's.

Reactions: Tom Struble
#13 ·
very nice i love the concept and design :thumbup:
a little movement would not concern me as other said
if there is more than you like i would suggest adding diagonal 2x between existing 2x wall framing then put 2 screws through each deck board into new diagonal 2x framing. i would not suggest enclosing inside for strength due to you have then caused a nice shelter for wasps, bees and other insects which could get through spaces between deck boards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.