Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #1

Share |

Playhouse for daughter

I'm looking at building a playhouse for my daughter, but I'm new to projects like this and could use some advice.

I found a floor plan online that would work using mostly supplies I already have (6' 2x4's, 6'x6' plywood siding):

http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/playhouse_6x6_1.html

However, there are a few variations to the above plan I'm considering. I could use some help with on the design. Instead of a slanted roof, I was thinking it would be cool to have a flat roof that doubled as a balcony. Something like this:

http://images.craigslist.org/5I15H85...d81ee81469.jpg

My daughter likes the idea of a rope ladder to get up there, so I do not have to worry about stairs, but I'm not sure how to do the railing. Nor am I sure how to make it strong enough so that it doesn't collapse with a couple kids jumping around on top.

Also, I'm undecided if I want to put in glass windows and a door, or if it would be better to simply have openings. Any thoughts on this?

Finally, I will be building it on a slope. What would be the best way to level it?

Any help you could give will be great. Thanks!

Last edited by Style; 08-24-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #2

Playhouse for daughter

Good luck with a flat roof, looks cool but it's going to leak and cause damage below it.
Kids could care less about windows, leave them out or buy shed windows, just cheap single pained windows.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Style (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #3

Playhouse for daughter

if you buy windows, consider changing out the glass for lexan or plexiglass or even safety glass. don't want the glass to break with jagged edges .....

Joe is correct about the flat roof, construction will get a lot more complicated in keeping the water out, you could always build a small deck/balcony adjacent to the playhouse as your next project .....

just my thoughts

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
Style (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Haverhill Trade 1965

Playhouse for daughter

Most lumber yards now sell rubber roofing in small amounts (EPDM). It stands up to minimal traffic but you can put on 2 layers, or build a floating deck over it. It isn't overly expensive, but the adhesive can be pricey, but for a playhouse you can probably use contact cement. Windows should be tempered glass only for safety. One of the vinyl rail systems that Agent Orange sells might work. Pictures of the site might help.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duckweather For This Useful Post:
Style (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #5

Playhouse for daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Good luck with a flat roof, looks cool but it's going to leak and cause damage below it.
I considered this. It's not in stone. If it's a bad idea then it's a bad idea and my daughter will just have to do without a balcony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Kids could care less about windows, leave them out or buy shed windows, just cheap single pained windows.
Question: Would leaving windows out also lead to water damage? I guess if I have the roof over hang far enough, only the most sideways of rains would get in, but still. Should I be concerned?

Thanks joecaption!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Haverhill Trade 1965

Playhouse for daughter

Your rafters, actually joists could overhang at the ends, rails over the walls, cut tops at an angle outside the rails to slope them away. Rails are fairly easy to seal water out from rubber.
Style (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #7

Playhouse for daughter

Another question: How important is it to use building wrap for the roof and walls? Page 12 and 13 of the plan I'm looking would have me using it:

http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/playhouse_6x6_12.html

http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/playhouse_6x6_13.html

Note that I won't be using siding board as they are in the plan. I already have plywood siding that I would like to use. Since I already have it, I would like to use it to save money.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #8

Playhouse for daughter

depends on how long you want it to last, and how much money you want to spend ... anything you can do to keep water away from the wood means it will last longer and have less chance of mold growth

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
Style (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #9

Playhouse for daughter

Also for the roof, they have cement fiber boards:

http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/playhouse_6x6_12.html

Are cement fiber boards better than shingles? Note, I'm looking for easy and cheap. :D Thanks!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #10

Playhouse for daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
depends on how long you want it to last, and how much money you want to spend ... anything you can do to keep water away from the wood means it will last longer and have less chance of mold growth
My one and only child is 6 years old. I can imagine she'll still be using it 10 years from now. What would it take for it to last 10 years?
Old 08-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
Haverhill Trade 1965

Playhouse for daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Style View Post
My one and only child is 6 years old. I can imagine she'll still be using it 10 years from now. What would it take for it to last 10 years?
Keep wood at least 8" above ground level, make sure you paint bottom edges, cuts, and any places water may be able to rest on. Calk all joints. I use Dap clear flexible sealant, Lexcel, or OSI elastomeric sealants. It penetrates into the joint, can be painted, reseals if cut, most have 50 year warranty.
Style (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #12

Playhouse for daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckweather View Post
Keep wood at least 8" above ground level, make sure you paint bottom edges, cuts, and any places water may be able to rest on. Calk all joints. I use Dap clear flexible sealant, Lexcel, or OSI elastomeric sealants. It penetrates into the joint, can be painted, reseals if cut, most have 50 year warranty.
Great stuff. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #13
Pro

Playhouse for daughter

You could get a roll of 90#, a stiff brush (the ones that go on the end of a mop handle), and a bucket of mop grade roofing cement and it wouldn't leak. 1/4" : 12" pitch, overlap the seam 6".Glue down your lower piece, pop a chalk line on it and be careful about getting the cement too close to it. Glue it straight to the plywood.

That's not going to leak within 10 years. If it does leak a bit, slap a patch on it. The $50 roof, and no rooftop slip and slide like you'd make with EPDM or any other single ply. Safer for them to be walking on - but be careful not to get the asphalt cement all over it when you're installing!

I wouldn't put housewrap on it unless I had it laying around. You could get some 15# felt though, and use it if you shingle the roof too, it's up to you - but don't shingle a flat roof :D
smalpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smalpierre For This Useful Post:
Style (08-26-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #14

Playhouse for daughter

I'm finally getting around to actually doing this project. I think I will go with a simple slanted roof, something like this image:

Question: Does it matter which direction you slant the roof? What considerations are there besides how it looks?

Also how much over hang would you recommend per side? The structure is 6x6x6.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #15

Playhouse for daughter

Your want the roof to slope so water does not end up falling where the door is.
Lumber is sold in a Min. of 8' lenghts so why would you make it 6 X 6?
Make sure to use pressure treated lumber for the floor joist.
There going to need to be a minimum of 6 X 's.
At least 6" over hang would be good on all sides.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Style (10-22-2012)