Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Playground border suggestions:Carpenter ants

Hi,
I have a wooded lot (ugh) and it is a constant battle with carpenter ants.

I'm thinking of putting a border around the kids playset, and fill it with pea gravel, which should keep some of the other smaller ants off the playset.

I was going to use railroad ties, or treated landscape timbers....but I fret that I may just set up a new city for the carpenter ants.
I read that since they don;t eat the wood....the treated wood will not necessarily make them go for the oak tree instead.

I was thinking about possibly creating a form with a rounded top and do a 4"w x 6" h x 1200 linear (30x40')concrete curb...but I'm not sure of the cost...seems like it would be expensive. The fake plastic timbers seemed too costly, so concrete mixed by myself may still be expensive.

Any ideas how to attack this?

PS thanks again for those with knowledge that contribute to this site, your help is greatly appreciated!

bergerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

If you go with concrete or wood, make sure it isn't some place where kids might fall and break teeth, etc.

I don't see why gravel would impact ants one way or another. If you want to deter the ants, Bayer has a product you can spray on the ground prior to putting in the wood.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Why the big concern over carpenter ants? The impression I get is that you are being attacked by these insects day and night.
There is nothing you can do to keep insects off an outdoor playset short of bombarding it with insecticide on a constant basis.
But then the kids can't play on it either.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote