Plastic Under Sil Plate? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

Plastic Under Sil Plate?

I'm about ready to put the floor sheathing up on the second floor of my 2-story addition......like all projects, they take longer than expected. I had hoped to have the roof on by now....and here we are into the rainy season in California.

I plan to protect the T&G sheathing (1 1/8") with 6 mil plastic while I frame the walls.

Is there any reason I can't build the walls on top of the plastic? Once I have the roof up....cut the plastic away from the bottom plate which would leave a thin strip of plastic between the floor and bottom plate.

Is this ok?

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

Plastic Under Sil Plate?

having the plastic down on the floor while framing wont really work, as your framing you'll be dropping things and dragging things which will only tear the plastic. and more importantly the plastic is very smooth you can slip on it and if there is any wrinkles in it you'll be more likely to trip on it

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

Plastic Under Sil Plate?

I’d be pushing to get a roof on even if that means framing non-bearing walls after the fact.

Along with the other mentioned reasons for no plastic you’ll never be able to keep it water tight an any water that makes it underneath will be trapped and won’t have a chance to dry out creating other problems.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 516

Plastic Under Sil Plate?

We often will spray on some water sealer when we frame a big house this time of year. It actually helps quite a bit and Isn't expensive. The plastic is a bad idea. One time we covered with Tyvek at the homeowners request. Trapped moisture and dangerously slippery.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

Plastic Under Sil Plate?

Thanks for the input guys.

I actually did spray Thompsons on the 1st floor....but not after a couple of rains....it does make a difference....

So, for the upstairs, I'll spray it as well and put down plastic only when it rains.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote