Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #1

Share |

Plastic shed?

Looking to free up space in the garage... Need at least an 8x6 shed for the backyard. Any recommendations or deals you know of? I was thinking a maintenance free plastic one... Are they worth it or will it just fall apart in three years?

stoked91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #2

Plastic shed?

Just not worth it to me. I've seen far to many of them get brittle from the UV, fall apart in a wind storm, not stay square so the doors no longer work, screws strip out.

Rule # 1 with any shed or garage, you will never buy or build one big enough.
The size you suggest will be far to small to be of much good.

If you build one or just have a wooden one delivered the key to having it last is to have it at least 8" up off the ground. It's the splash back from water run off that rots out the sides.
Do not cheap out on the floor a floor joist, the joist need to be sized for the span just going from a 2 X 6 to a 2 X 8 will make a huge differance. Use Advantec T & G subflooring not something like 1/2 OSB.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #3

Plastic shed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked91 View Post
Looking to free up space in the garage... Need at least an 8x6 shed for the backyard. Any recommendations or deals you know of? I was thinking a maintenance free plastic one... Are they worth it or will it just fall apart in three years?
If aesthetics are not very important, and you think you might move in a few years, and you're going to install it where it has partial protection from sun and driving rain, it's a good option, IMO. You can take it with you when you eventually move. Otherwise, take a look at the wood sheds at the box stores. People will no doubt flame this response (some people are addicted to bashing HD and Lowes), but I've examined those closely and my opinion is that the higher-end models seem sufficiently well built, and are easy enough on the eyes. Avoid the cheap models built with 2x3s studs. If you're up for the challenge, you can assemble it yourself and save some money.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #4

Plastic shed?

And what ever you do,don't just set it on the ground,at least set it on deck blocks.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote