Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Plastering over dry wall - is it necessary?

I have removed popcorn ceiling from our sunroom which measures 20 by 10.

My wife thinks all we have to do is sand, prime the drywall and paint over it.

I think we have to plaster the ceiling so that the tape, and drywall separations are uniform, and then paint if we want.

We are by no means experts in this type of job. In fact, I scrapped the popcorn ceiling off with out using water. That tells you a lot doesn't it. The reason for the removal was that the popcorn ceiling was starting to come lose and falling down.

Input would be appreciated.

Thomas1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Residential Remodeler

Is it drywall?

How much of the paper facing did you remove when scraping off the popcorn texture?

CookeCarpentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #3

Not necessary to plaster. If you didn't tear up the paper facing of the drywall, then just prime and paint. If there are gouges and such, repair them with drywall compound. You will need to sand any repairs so they are flush before priming and painting. Not a pro here but that's what I would and have done. In fact I have never seen drywall that has been plastered over.
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #4

Hello Thomas my name is George and work for a Chicago area Home Depot.

What did it caused a knockdown to flake at the first place?
Do you have a proper ventilation in the attic above the sun room?
Usually flaking paint or texture is caused by water damage or moisture problems.

It could be an installation issue at the first place but i would still check the attic for moisture.

As far as the ceiling goes i would say to prime the ceiling first with stainblocking primer and skim coat over with drywall compound.

You need a clean substrate for compound to adhere to.
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Both you and your wife are correct. But your way will look a lot nicer if the seams and joints are not already smooth.

Whatever you can see in the way of imperfections now will be magnified when you paint the ceiling.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #6

Usually they spray popcorn because it's easier to spray texture than it is to do a good job in the first place.

Take a light, hold it at ceiling level, and shine it across the ceiling.

After it's painted, you'll see all that. If it doesn't bother you , then just paint.

They only way it will look smooth is if it is smooth.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeCarpentry View Post
Is it drywall?

How much of the paper facing did you remove when scraping off the popcorn texture?
Surprisingly none. True, I nicked it a couple of times and realize I would have to repair it before any other action.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelToes View Post
Hello Thomas my name is George and work for a Chicago area Home Depot.

What did it caused a knockdown to flake at the first place?
Do you have a proper ventilation in the attic above the sun room?
Usually flaking paint or texture is caused by water damage or moisture problems.

It could be an installation issue at the first place but i would still check the attic for moisture.

As far as the ceiling goes i would say to prime the ceiling first with stainblocking primer and skim coat over with drywall compound.

You need a clean substrate for compound to adhere to.
The room is not heated nor aired. Live in GA so it becomes very hot. I run ceiling fans and normally have the sliding glass doors open during the day. The house is 15 years old. The original flaking was in the areas where the tape was coming loose which I thought was being caused by the tape just drying out and being old. The tape was over the seam and plaster sealing the 2 pieces of dry wall. That plaster is now loose so I would have to replace it. The tape between the side walls and ceiling is also loose in spots so I would have to replace it also. I am not experienced in this type of work. So which would be the better approach, doing it myself, or having someone do it for me?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1944 View Post
The room is not heated nor aired. Live in GA so it becomes very hot. I run ceiling fans and normally have the sliding glass doors open during the day. The house is 15 years old. The original flaking was in the areas where the tape was coming loose which I thought was being caused by the tape just drying out and being old. The tape was over the seam and plaster sealing the 2 pieces of dry wall. That plaster is now loose so I would have to replace it. The tape between the side walls and ceiling is also loose in spots so I would have to replace it also. I am not experienced in this type of work. So which would be the better approach, doing it myself, or having someone do it for me?

Having said that flaking it's only in the joint areas i would say it is probably caused by a improper tape installation.
What king of tape is it ?
I'm guessing paper tape ?

They have probably used "dry" paper tape on joints , just peel one section of the tape off and check if there is any mud behind it.

As far as the attic goes , check what type of insulation you have right now.

Some insulation batts come with vapor barrier facing , for example paper or foil faced fiberglass , and placement location of the vapor barrier is very important.

Also check if there is any plastic sheathing under the insulation.

I don't know what type of the attic space you have or if you have any but there should be a ventilated space in between you ceiling and roof decking.

If you have never taped and mud ed drywall before , hire somebody out to do your ceiling.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #10

It is paper tape and there was no drywall compound behind it. My attic is well vented, top and all sides. I thank you for your reply and your guidance.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #11

Here we go, that’s the problem they have used "dry" paper tape on joints.

I would advise to remove all of the tape and have somebody mud the ceiling again, just make sure they are doing it right this time.