Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #1

Share |

Plaster Walls. asbestos

Hi,

Quick question. I am working on painting our living room and noticed that there was a textured paper on the wall. It was painted over some time ago and cracks formed beneath and are showing through.

I was in process of repairing the cracks when I noticed how easily the paper was coming off the walls. Could it be asbestos wrap paper on the walls? Its thin, totally dried out, and flaky. I can post a picture of a piece.

Thanks.

doublea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #2

Plaster Walls. asbestos

More likely a wallpaper covering to disguise plaster cracks. I've never heard of that paper being made of asbestos. The only real way of telling is to have it tested.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #3

Plaster Walls. asbestos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
More likely a wallpaper covering to disguise plaster cracks. I've never heard of that paper being made of asbestos. The only real way of telling is to have it tested.
Ron
Yea I am thinking to send out a sample of the paper. The house was built in 1940. It has standard framing with cement board and plaster on top.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #4

Plaster Walls. asbestos

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea View Post
Yea I am thinking to send out a sample of the paper. The house was built in 1940. It has standard framing with cement board and plaster on top.
What you have is a mulicoat plaster. There wasn't any cement board in the '40's. The brown coat went over a lath material. It was topped with the white plaster coating.
If you have a decent microscope(or even a magnifying glass, you can identify asbestos by matching it to a picture on the web. Asbestos is easily identifiable.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #5

Plaster Walls. asbestos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
What you have is a mulicoat plaster. There wasn't any cement board in the '40's. The brown coat went over a lath material. It was topped with the white plaster coating.
If you have a decent microscope(or even a magnifying glass, you can identify asbestos by matching it to a picture on the web. Asbestos is easily identifiable.
Ron
Is it just called brown or is that the color. Because what is behind the wall is a gray layer followed by a white layer. There is definitely no lathe behind my walls (from what I have looked at).
Old 08-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
DIY'er

Plaster Walls. asbestos

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea View Post
Is it just called brown or is that the color. Because what is behind the wall is a gray layer followed by a white layer. There is definitely no lathe behind my walls (from what I have looked at).
It is likely rocklath with traditional 2 coat plaster over it. The rocklath in the 50's and 60's and maybe back into the 40's was a 2x8' or 2x9' by 3/8" thick board that very closely resembles drywall. Now virtually the same product as was used at least in the 60's is sold in 4'x8' sheets, commonly in 1/2" called blueboard or plaster board. It is sold with drywall at all major home improvement stores. As far as I know rocklath or the 2 coat plaster did not contain asbestos, but I don't know that for certain.

The order would have been rocklath, brown coat, finish (white) coat.

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote