Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2007, 09:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Plaster replacement

I have finally gotten an insurance check for damage done by Hurricane Katrina to my home in New Orleans (yes 19 months later) and am anxious to get the work finished and get back into my home. The house is about 150 years old. My house lost most of it's roof but had no flooding. Still, since the city was "locked down" for a long time, I was unable to get the roof replaced for about 2 1/2 months. During that time we had another hurricane and the normal rains. All of the plaster ceilings but surprisingly few of the walls had to be removed and will have to be replaced.

I like the look and feel of the plaster, but it's almost impossible to find local qualified people who can do real plaster work. My builder recommends not worrying about using plaster on the ceilings since they are 12 ft. high and "no one will notice the difference" and to use paperless drywall. I could probably live with this for the ceilings, but does anyone have any suggestions on what to do for the few walls that do need to be replaced to make them have a plaster or near plaster appearance and feel?

Thanks.

lburele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 0

Plaster replacement

Hi,

The reason why your builder recommended using ''paperless drywall'' (densarmor)...is that because the core material is held together by vary small fiberglass threads, the sheets have to be skimcoated with compound in order to gain a completely smooth suface.

So, he was suggesting this method, as it would be the closest to actual plastering, because of the 'skim coating' that it requires.

Problem is, that would need to find drywallers who can apply a proper 'skim-coat' over such wide areas, and have it look good......Or as is referred in the industry, create a 'level 5' smooth finish....

'Experienced' and 'skilled' tapers/finishers can to create a plaster-looking ceiling....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote