Planning To Build My Dream Home - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to Maverick Wolfe

Planning to build my dream home

I am planning on building my own home in the future and am wanting to get input on my ideas for "overbuilding" the structure I wish to Soundproof and Weather proof the home so that even on the inside unless a door is open you can't hear any sound or if the Heat/AC is on you have close to ZERO thermal issues. I'm looking at 2x8 4x8 or 4x4 cornering and studding along with using what I've seen referenced as staggered studding by building at 12 instead of 16 on center. I know it's more costly to do so but the efficiency cost savings versus the actual savings on heating and cooling the house outweigh the overall cost. I plan on sound boarding in at least ONE room to double as an office/Studio for myself as I am a DJ and like to fiddle around on the guitar when I'm feeling up to it. What are the professionals advice on doing this I plan on going 1 foot additional out on the foundation to compensate and will be installing the most up to date networking wire possible so if Cat7 is the standard then, I will install that along with Fiber Optics and RG6 Cable in every bedroom and the living room, Kitchen and dining room. The house will have a basement area with my work space and a central technology "Server" room. I am planning on Two solid floors for a total of 3 levels in the home, I'd love to build a sub level below the main basement but that would depend on where I live and the water tables under the site. What is the professional input on how to go about building the house, I also plan on running at least ONE 60 Amp fuse to each Major room in the house because of the fact that the home will be Technology centered.

Advertisement

Maverick Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 81

One floor up so it looks like a ranch and 2 below grade. 2x6 or 2x8 wall studs with closed cell foam solid walls and minimum windows and doors to the outside. Earth and foam will completely seal lower levels. It will be like a large bomb shelter!

Advertisement

Olcrazy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,032

check out structural insulated panels (SIP's)

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,696

Your dream home has been built, just buy it.

http://greatkansans.wordpress.com/20...home-for-sale/
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2014, 05:33 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Ayuh,... There's a fella up the road that built his entire house, includin' the interior walls, outa insulated concrete forms,...

That house offers All the attributes the Op is lookin' for,...
Super insulated, 'n Super quite inside,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
Msradell (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,472

aaahhhhhhhhhhhh, the romance of building 1's home in the sunshine

the o/p may have some inkling of what's posted but i'm betting its more hgtv/flip this house than hand's on experience,,, its possible to build as he wishes easily using icf's & well-point system no matter what the water table,,, whether or not his pocketbook can stand the strain's another matter.why worry about ' rg6 wire, fiber-optic, 60amp fuse [ what happened to circuit breakers - ea room has a panel box ? ] & other **** ?

you can build whatever you wish but someone's you sell it @ risk of being unable to get your family's $$$ out of your invenstment,,, now, IF you've got deep pockets to satisfy the o/p, find a good builder & hire him - that's my advice - good luck !

[ what technology currently requires 60amps per major room - all i can think of is grow lights - is it for growing marijuana ? )
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #7

LOL I did mean Breaker boxes LOL, but anyways...I plan on having a good chunk of cash when I build my home. Even if I were to Go out and buy a house already built and just Redo all the drywall and insulation... It would take me another probably 40K just to do all the modifications I want NOT including brand new Studio equipment for the studio room, that alone will probably run another 5-8k... so... Theoretically If I were to go out buy the house and Just have it added onto that would be another thing. however I noted the missile silos LOL Funny.. No the reasoning for a second sub level is more of the fact that I want a place that's not going to get above or below ground temperature as this is where I woud be placing my test benching and personal office for my computer work in one half the other half would however have a zone for heat and a few other amenities of my choosing. the main basement floor above would have things like a pool table, and my recording studio ect. But then again... it would be nice to have a home that is built right on top of an old silo LOL more for fun and such than anything else. Data wiring would be a problem down into the areas that needed it... it would have to be all fiber optic networking, not cheap but not as expensive as it once was back in the 80's-'05 so as far as that goes I'm cool with some stuff... but I'd prefer to have a regular house and setup the basement for private usage on the sub-level. Keep in mind also I need to make sure I have full accessibility for friends, family and any person using any of my services into the home and basement. the cost of just the basics is probably going to be somewhere around 90-100k just for the basements, so all in all we're probably looking at around 3-600k just for the house and base cost... especially if I have 4 floors total like I really want. mind you I'm future planning and really would like to do most of the build myself to save cost, I have friends that are contractors that would help me out when I am ready, not to mention I can run all the wiring myself including Cat6E/7 wiring and the high rated romex through the entire house, would just have the electrician wire up the boxes and panels 1x per level of the home running to a comercial grade electrical outdoor Distribution box.(I require new glasses please when responding to posts set font to 3 or 4 depending on font. also using 32" Tv/Monitor at high resolution.)
Old 01-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #8

fwiw, we're planning our last home now - icf's + conc roof,,, over 40yrs, built homes/hotels/commercial strip malls/hgwys/airports/bdges/etc but i'll still hire a local gc,,, he knows who does good work, local codes, & inspectors + knows his reputation's @ stake,,, when its time for my estate to sell the place, there won't be any trouble,,, just my $.03
Old 01-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

go with icf. with lumber prices on the rise and the quality of wood going down more and more people are switching to icf

http://bethepro.com/the-contractors-...oncrete-forms/
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #10

icf higher cost is soon paid back by energy savings,,, last amortization period was 18mos but could've dropped by now,,, NOT diy item no matter what suppliers say
Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 628

1) I don't know how old you are, but four floors probably won't cut it past your fifties

2) I sure don't have a crystal ball, and don't know what the future holds for IT, even whether it will remain in wire or go wireless altogether. Running conduit to a hub will allow you to up date your data/comm if needed.

Last edited by Anti-wingnut; 01-22-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Wolfe View Post
(I require new glasses please when responding to posts set font to 3 or 4 depending on font. also using 32" Tv/Monitor at high resolution.)
Did anybody notice that the OP wants us to help him out
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anti-wingnut For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (01-24-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 626

I think the OP has posted before on the same subject with building a metal home, with building a one room home. might be wrong but I think it is the same person.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #14

That's a negative on the metal home. I'm all for conduit and such for wires, I apprenticed for 20+ years under my dad installing everything from old 25 pin printer lines and 4 pair nullmodem/printer/monitor cables all the way to RG58, RG6 and up to current Cat6 wiring before he had to shut his business down due to the economy in late 2008. Conduit is an installation techs best friend when it comes to certain things. only problem with conduit in certain places is if run at too tight of an angle and you have multiple types of wires running to one point is you're going to bind, worse than if you didn't run it. I'd probably be running at least 20 sets of each type of wire just to the primary location. I know I'd need quadruple the fiber optics in the house though.... reason being is that if I wanted to run multiple Fiber nodes and branch it off into one high speed internal node to all optic outlets into the house it would require at least 4-8 Cables for just my personal trunk. I want to be able to download updates to my system in seconds not minutes and hours. and having things this way would ensure that. Running out from the fiber trunk would be into the ethernet into a 100GB Firewall router, so all computers would have the option of hooking in via lan if no optic card available for the machine, yes 10GB/sec cards will probably not be for another 5-10 years the normal in a home setting but I've always been ahead of the curve when it comes to that stuff.. my dad has always been impressed that I've seen that and gone for the higher standards just because I saw it coming. BUT as for building the house I'm seeing posts for ICF, would someone help educate me further on ICF please? I know what it is and have seen them used but am not familiar with the Acronym as my specialty is within the technical field more than construction. Knowing how I work and knowing the fact I like to stay ahead of the curve and wish to be super energy efficient so I can afford to run high dollar very expensive equipment and toys in a personal home workshop and studio is important. I'm either going to make it big and be able to afford and build my dream home or I'm going to end up buying a home and making what I can of it for starters and going from there. I'd even Likely buy into a good size "starter" home with 4 bed 3 bath and a finished basement that's being ground floor built. so that I could have a say in what type of wiring ect and even run all the data/telecom wiring myself. Really exploring all of my options as my true dream home will come when it does and however it does to me. I know someone said somewhere in time "Dream Big, Plan Big, and Make it happen." but I do not remember who.(FTR I'm 35 on saturday)

Last edited by Maverick Wolfe; 01-23-2014 at 06:17 AM. Reason: OP overtired when wrote response missed links and read them.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #15

happy 35th b-day w/all that techie knowledge you don't have no google ? tried ' icf concrete ' & got 1,420,000 results in .31 seconds even w/o electricity - we run off squirrel cage generators powered by real squirrels ( einstein said it & lincoln posted ' don't believe all you read on the internet ! )

ps - ' FTR ' googles as frontier communications corp - up .07& yesterday - nasdaq )

Advertisement