Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Share |

placing new window in sliding glass door space

How do I put a window in a sliding glass door opening that is installed at ground level and floods when there is heavy rain?

The room in question is built in an old carport. My goal is to stop the flooding coming under the sliding glass door and make the bedroom more secure at night when I would like to have a window rather than a door open.

Would a brick or cinder block wall built on top of the existing cement slab resolve my water problem? It might be more cost effective to do 3 rows of brick and then use Hardy plank on top of that as there are already 2 rows of brick at the foundation that could be extended across the opening. What kind of membrane would be used as flashing for the small knee wall and how is it installed?

I do not think footings are required in that 71 inch space? I plan to put the wall to support the window on the cement that is now supporting the existing sliding glass door. The 1971 cinder block Kure Beach, N.C. house is located 2 blocks from the ocean. It has two rows of brick at the foundation of the cinder block that I could continue across the 71 inches.

Any thoughts are most welcome.
L. Loving

L. Loving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #2

placing new window in sliding glass door space

On the right track. Two rows of block fill some with concrete so you can set foundation bolts in the voids to hold the wall in place. Sill seal then the bottom plate and just frame in the wall to fit the window.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote