Placing An LCD TV Above A Stone Faced Fireplace? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 502

Placing an LCD TV above a stone faced fireplace?

My wife and I are getting ready to move into a new home. The family room is two stories with a spectacular cultured stone fireplace. We'd like to mount a 40" LCD TV above the gas fireplace. Here are several options we came up with:

1. Reinforce the back of the framed fireplace with 2 x 6's and mount the TV directly to the stone using a special mount. Cons: This will completely ruin the stone behind the TV.

2. Hang the TV from suspension wires, similar to how Lowes or Home Depot hangs its large isle signs from the rafters. Cons: I've never seen this done before with a TV. Suspension wires may detract from the beauty of the two story stone fireplace. No place to attach the wires to the TV.

3. Set the TV on the fireplace mantel. Cons: Cultured stone mantel doesn't look like it's wide or deep enough, and may not be able to support the weight. TV could easily get bumped off if not secured some other way.

So that's what we've come up with. Which do you feel is the best solution? If anyone has any other ideas or has done this before please post your experience here.

Thanks,
Kelly
Attached Thumbnails
Placing an LCD TV above a stone faced fireplace?-img_1496.jpg   Placing an LCD TV above a stone faced fireplace?-img_1515.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by kcrossley2; 01-17-2007 at 11:55 PM.
kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

i would choose the first one,its normal in china that people install something on the wall,you can not see the ruined stone as they are covered by the wide TV screen,if you wanna move away this TV in future,this stone is easy to repaire.

Hope it helps.

welcome to visit our website for fashionable home products including stone basins,countertops,mosaics and also fireplaces,etc.

www.sinosk.com

Advertisement

sinosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
not a total Newbie

Rewards Points: 75

Could you make your wall connections in the mortar between the stones? You'd probably have to install some wood backing pieces to attach your LCD bracket to.

Also, don't forget about running cables (power, HDMI, whatever). I think this would be the hard part in your room.

Awesome looking house, by the way!
space_coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_coyote View Post
Awesome looking house, by the way!
Yeah, I call this room the cathedral. BTW, this is a photo of the builder's model home. My drywall and fireplace hasven't been built yet, so we are planning on running the TV cable and power behind and through the stone work.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
with Mrs. Jeep

If the fireplace hasn't been constructed yet, why not install some sort of anchor bolts in the mortar for the TV? The possibilities are virtually endless since it hasn't been built yet...
JeepCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
Commercial Flat Roofing

Rewards Points: 75

Make sure you have a large enough conduit run to handle all the cables that will be running to the set. I would suggest at least a 3" pipe.

At the least, there's going to be at least one HDMI cable maybe two, and/or a couple sets of component wires and maybe even coax cable for OTA reception running to the back of the set. Or if you're running a cable card into the set there's another run of Coax from the cable Co.

My plasma has 1 HDMI cable for the Set top Box(cable, satellite etc), Component cable for the DVD player, Coax cable for the OTA digital audio from the set to the reciever, Component for the DVR, Coax for the OTA tuner built into the set, Audio cables to get sound to the TV because I don't always use my reciever to watch the news in the AM.

Additionally, If your going to have conduit installed to run cabling, May I suggest having whoever installs it to leave you with a couple of pull strings inside of the conduit so that in the future you can pull additional cables through without having to fish it yourself.

Just my $.02 worth

Last edited by Talos4; 01-18-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Talos4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Somebody should have addressed this issue about eight weeks ago, before the drywall went up. A couple of holes in the stone for mounting the bracket is trivial compared to getting wires from the tv to the componemts and out to the speakers. Surely you jest about hanging the tv from wires??
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Somebody should have addressed this issue about eight weeks ago, before the drywall went up. A couple of holes in the stone for mounting the bracket is trivial compared to getting wires from the tv to the componemts and out to the speakers. Surely you jest about hanging the tv from wires??
Oops, saw the later post about the picture being the builder model and yours not being done yet. Just put blocking for the bracket to screw to. Unless you plan on not living in the house long, I would not worry about the couple of holes in the stone, there is going to be a much bigger penetration for the wiring and a receptacle that is going to look mighty strange in the middle of the fireplace if the tv is removed. If you have to sell this house, I would use the "plasma tv to remain" as a marketing tool. Remember, it will be old technology anyway in a few years, and if you build another house, you will most likely want the latest again. I suggest getting the bracket during the rough in stage of your project, so the cabling guy and the electrician will know where to mount their boxes. There is quite a bit of variation among different bracket manufacturers for these locations.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCop View Post
If the fireplace hasn't been constructed yet, why not install some sort of anchor bolts in the mortar for the TV? The possibilities are virtually endless since it hasn't been built yet...
This is what the project manager suggested, and I think it's a really good idea, so we're going to attempt this solution. My only concern is that mortar is relatively soft, so I'm afraid that I could really screw up the fireplace if I don't do this just right. Plus, if I over tighten the wooden mounting plate I may even crack the stone or the joints.

Here's what I'm thinking. Please let me know if this sounds like it would work or if I should do someting different. This starts from the back moving forward.

2 x 8 or 2 x 10 studs
Drywall
Cultured Stone
Wooden mounting plate and lag bolts to secure (what size?)
Mounting bracket
LCD TV

Thanks,
Kelly
Old 01-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #10

Are you sure you want to look up at the TV?? This is going to be like sitting in the front of the theater at your local Multiplex. You may want to rethink this before it is too late.
Ballman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballman View Post
Are you sure you want to look up at the TV?? This is going to be like sitting in the front of the theater at your local Multiplex. You may want to rethink this before it is too late.
That's one thing that concerns me. Since I've never mounted a TV above a fireplace, I don't have a point of reference. Maybe I'll post a quick survey.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley2 View Post
That's one thing that concerns me. Since I've never mounted a TV above a fireplace, I don't have a point of reference. Maybe I'll post a quick survey.
Have the TV rise up out of the floor on a motorized cabinet. When not is use the TV could lower back down.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:14 PM   #13

How much does the TV weigh?

2 lag bolts into the studs to hold it.

They sell mounting brackets for these TV's.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:32 AM   #14

Have you decided to mount it above the fireplace or in a different location?
Old 02-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #15

In a different location.

Advertisement