Placement Of A Fish Tank - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

placement of a fish tank

I want to put my 90 gal fish tank in a new location. The problem is it will run with the floor joists. The tank is approx 1000 lbs. The joists are 2x8, 16"c, and span 12 feet. I don't have a bsmt just a crawl space. Do I need extra supports?

Advertisement

steve0825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

placement of a fish tank

if it were me I would check the supports in the crawl space but I would say no you do not need extra. The weight of the tank ,water,and extra should come to about 800lbs and that wont be a problem especally if the tank crosses at least two joist

Advertisement

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

placement of a fish tank

What kind of stand do you have? The ones with four points of contact are rougher on the floor obviously. The ones that touch the floor all along the base will spread out the weight very well too. Plywood under the floor will also spread out the weight well.

A buddy of mine lives in the third floor apartment (1 bedroom) and has fish tanks in every room. His "fish" room has tanks along every wall including a few 50 and 60 gallon tanks stacked above each other. No problems with the flooring supports, but every once in a while the tenants below complain when he changes the water and they see water dripping from the ceiling hahaha. He has at least 30 tanks in his tiny apartment. The heat and humidity are nuts, but his tanks are all very nice.

What will you be keeping in your tank?
jonathan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

placement of a fish tank

Thanks for the quick reply....

I have a stand that has a solid bottom... 52" x 20"
I can't be 100% certain that it is resting on two joists. It may be only on one. Would that still support the weight? What is the worst that could happen?

As for fish........I am looking at either rays, an arrowana, or both......
steve0825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

placement of a fish tank

well if it will be resting on just one it could start to bow under the constaint weight but at 52inches long it should cover two which will distribute the weight better and being a solid bottem will help also.If it is only crossing one I would get in that crawl space and put in a few braces and blocking under the joist.I am sure your not going to be moveing this on a reg bases and that weight over time could cause your flooring to bow on you.It is alwasys better to do some prevent maint. now then have to worry about fixing a mess later
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

placement of a fish tank

If it is spread across at least two joists then you may be OK provided that you don't already have other heavy items on the same joints such as appliances...

Advertisement

duckdown is offline   Reply With Quote