Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pin spacing for 1 coarse block for shed

I poured a slab for a 12'x16' shed. I want to put 1 coarse of concrete block down to put my walls on. Just wondering how many pins (not positive on the terminology) and how far apart they should be. By pins, I mean rebar that come out of the slab into the middle of the block. Do i need one in every block, or just every 3 to 4? I'm in Iowa if region matters.

Thanks

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

What will the walls be made of? And describe the future floor. Any windows... location and size? What size door, and where? Roof type?

Last edited by Willie T; 06-10-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

I put down 2 coarse of blocks and filled with concrete. Blocks act as a retaining wall against the garden 3 sides. Front is framed to the floor. Slab has rebar mesh. I did not use pins but you could drill for 3/8" rebar pins if your only doing one coarse. Two coarse with filled concrete helps lock the blocks together.

Pin spacing for 1 coarse block for shed-image-1295227990.jpg

Pin spacing for 1 coarse block for shed-image-1157421125.jpg
MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

With no idea what you intend to build, nor exactly where in Iowa, this is all I can offer. And, "Yes" reigon matters, as sometimes does the particular municipality.

Sill Plates
Sec. 2326.6. Foundation Plates or Sills. Foundation plates or sills resting on concrete or masonry foundations shall be bolted as required by Section 1806.6.

Sec. 1806.6. Foundation Plates or Sills. Foundation plates or sills shall be bolted to the foundation or foundation wall with not less than 1/2 inch (13 mm) nominal diameter steel bolts embedded at least 7 inches (178 mm) into the concrete or masonry and spaced not more than 6 feet (1829 mm) apart. There shall be a minimum of two bolts per piece with one bolt located within 12 inches (305 mm) of each end of each piece. A properly sized nut and washer shall be tightened on each bolt to the plate. Foundation plates and sills shall be the kind of wood specified in Section 2317.4.

Sec. 2317.4. Plates, Sills and Sleepers. All foundation plates or sills and sleepers on a concrete or masonry slab, which is in direct contact with the earth, and sills which rest on concrete or masonry foundations, shall be treated wood or Foundation redwood, all marked or branded by an approved agency.

Additional Local Requirements: Exterior wall sill plates bearing on concrete must be Foundation redwood or pressure treated lumber and must be nominal 2 inch thickness (2x material) with their width at least equal to the width of studs to be used. Steel bolts used for sill anchorage shall be at least 10 inches long.

Last edited by Willie T; 06-10-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote