Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #1

Share |

Pillars

Help!!!....Just recently we were doing yard work around our house and noticed that it was settling. But it is settling in the middle. We got to looking and two of the pillars are settling at an angle and the house is not sitting on them at all. From the looks of it, it has been this was for quiet sometime. The house was built in the 1930's and the pillars were added about 12 years ago. Not only that, this past summer we found a well in our yard that is about 20 feet from the back of the house. Not only that, someone who lives about a 1/2 mile from us decided to burn tree limbs in a below ground pool with 5 gallons of gasoline. That was an explosion that also shook the house. We have only been in this house three years and the inspector never noted the pillars in the inspection report.

My question is, do we need to get a contractor or structural engineer to come out and look to tell us what we need to do so we can fix it?

Last edited by southerngirl; 12-13-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Forgot question
southerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Pillars

Quote:
My question is, do we need to get a contractor or structural engineer to come out and look to tell us what we need to do so we can fix it?
That would be my suggestion.

Andy

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #3

Pillars

Could the well be causing the house to settle?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Residential Designer

Pillars

It is possible I suppose but you need to get someone who is capable of making the determination out there.

Andy.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #5

Pillars

Thanks! I have called and scheduled for a structural engineer to come out next week and look at it. I will not let my husband crawl under the house. All this came to light when i stuck a camera in the crawl space door and took pictures. We even noticed that there are burn marks on the wood floor underneath the house. My husband thinks it was the old floor furnace that caused that. It has really freaked my out because the flooring in our home is the original wood floors to the house when it was built in the 30's and I am afraid of them falling in with no support from the pillars.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
Residential Designer

Pillars

Good-on-ya southerngirl, post pictures.

Of the situation and yourself.

Andy.