Piers Under A New Addition - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

piers under a new addition

Ok, I'm hoping to be able to get around this somehow. I am building an addition of 30x24 and have completed the surrounding foundation. There are piers going straight up the center but as I look down the line (and i should have fixed it BEFORE setting the footings) the piers do not match up. Meaning they go from side to side but they are all straight AND the girder that will span across them will be able to easily be perched on top of each pier but will not be centered. Will this be a problem for the inspector to pass?
I obviously want to avoid doing them all over again. Arg, I could just kick myself!
The inspector did approve the footings that the piers are now installed upon. Though they all will be under the girder that will be installed they are off quite a bit from each other.
Thanks

Advertisement

shama144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Can you post a picture or an illustration of how far they're off? Or a description?

I hate to say this, but it depends. It is best to concentrically load the piers, but some small variance may be acceptable.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

yes, here's a pic of it and it's not to scale of course and it also may be a little worse than the pic designates. The one pier to the upper right is for a staircase that will be in the home.
Thanks.
I could dig more of the footer of the piers to the side that's not far ebnough over and add a block to that one side of those that are 'off' effectively widening the pier to even it out but then the blocks will not be staggered on that side. I should probably take it down and do it again as much of a pain as that would be.
*The center line designates the girder.
Attached Thumbnails
piers under a new addition-peirs.jpg  
shama144 is offline   Reply With Quote