Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #1

Share |

Pier Spacing

Pier Spacing.

Click HERE for my drawing

As some of you may know, I plan on rebuilding a porch that I hired a contractor to build for me.

I am building a 31' 8" x 10 foot porch on the front of my house.

2x10 PT southern pine joists, beam and ledger
5/4x6 cedar decking boards running perpendicular to the house

This may seem like a very dumb question to some of you, but I have somewhat of an issue trying to figure out where to put the posts without blocking the view of the windows and still having a uniform look on the spacing between posts for the guard rails. I have posted a rough Visio drawing (yes, it is rough, Im just a diy'er ). I'm just looking for ideas to make this look appealing and uniform. The 6x6 posts that are currently drawn on there should stay. I need help in the placement of the other posts.

Thanks in advance for the help.

my5sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
MetalArchitect

Pier Spacing

What kind of roof are you doing...a shed or hip all the way across...is there a gable over the entrance?
I might say up the header to a double 2X12 and throw one support in the middle...it depend on the roof configuration

Rkeytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #3

Pier Spacing

This is a gable roof. I actually need help with the post placement locations under the deck too.
my5sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
MetalArchitect

Pier Spacing

I don't think you'll be able to frame the windows perfectly and keep an even spacing on your posts...the most important thing is the spacing, IMO.
Your not going to see the house on a perfect straight on shot, so from different viewing points a post will almost always be in a window view. try laying out (2) post evenly between the end post and the one by the entrance (spaced about 9 feet apart. You'll get the most uniformed look and only have a post in a small portion of the window ( when looking at it dead on)
Rkeytek is offline   Reply With Quote