Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #1

Share |

picture framing on deck shrinkage

I knew there would be a some shrinkage on the picture framing but I am pretty disappointed in the end result. I had this wood in the sun for 2 weeks prior to cutting and even had the inner frame cut for a week before installing. You can see in the second picture how the framing was pretty tight. I did not glue it because what I read pretty much led me to believe that if it wants to shrink it is going to and gluing won't save that.

Also, I knew in my head i should have put down all the boards and then cut out the inlay and border sections to make a nice uniform line. BUT, since I am working with 45s and 90s i figure i can do a pretty decent job. Well, when i laid it everything was pretty straight, but just like the picture framing the short sides have shrunk more than the long ones. So no my lines aren't straight. I figure that would have been the result even if i cut after installing to add the boarders and inlay.

So, what can be done? I am thinking to pull all boards and inlay out and cut to fit. Also on the other sides i will cut them a hair too long, let them sit for a week, and do a final cut.

Thoughts? Is a good mitered cut even possible to keep in good shape outdoors? Am I being too anal?

Also, I had no idea the end wax would leech through the sides up onto the tops of the boards. Anything I can do about this? I only put the wax on the sides and after a week you can see that it has covered almost 1/2"-3/4" of the top of the board. Is there a way of stripping this prior to oiling?

Sean

A day or 2 after install.

SeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #2

That's as good as your going to get working with real wood.
Why the wax? I would have skipped that part, any place it touches, drips, of flows into will now be stained will not soak in any sealer or stain.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #3

I did end wax because i was told to. Everyone says to seal the ends or they will crack and split. sigh
Old 07-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #4

You should have used a real wood sealer,like this,and the next time you post pic's you need to resize them first.

http://www.uccoatings.com/products/anchorseal
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #5

I used what Advantage Lumber uses which is a hard wood sealer aka wax emulsion, but have since bought AnchorSeal. Hoping it does better.

And I left the pictures that large on purpose to have good definition of the issue areas. I know they are large, which is why I posted them to my site rather than this one. I did go and cut the first one down to a smaller portion, same scale though.

Last edited by SeanB; 07-02-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #6

Wax would have been fine for long term storage of limber to help prevent it from cupping, but not for use when constructing a deck.
What type wood is that? Sort of looks like IPE.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Haverhill Trade 1965

Since all wood shrinks like this when mitered the only option I have ever used is to cut my miters say 44 degrees or so, (an experienced guestimate), make the pieces a 16th inch longer, and allow a way to wedge them together and nail or screw after they shrink. Another thing you would find if you were to put a straight edge on the cut it would usually be convex. It would be your choice as to what you expect as to if it is worth it to try.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #8

Its Cumaru. I have a mix of reds, yellows, and only 1 long board of the crazy looking one I used for the inlay. It really looks like a Tiger Wood almost, but its Cumaru.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
liscenced electrician

maybe you should have drilled pilot holes and used 3 or 4" deck screws to screw the corners together when you were installing it
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #10

Well, I decided to just pull it all back off and fix my gaps. Turns out upon closer inspection this is not shrinkage at all, its cupping. great. So I know I need alot of ventilation but that is not really possible on an inlay like this. So what do you do? I am going to keep them wet and upside down in the sun tomorrow and see if they will lay back down. I sure hope they do otherwise I will be putting back cupped boards.

I am going to try and cut back as much of the wood as possible but there at least a 1/3 of the board will be on top of the blocking.

thoughts?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #11

Considering the nature of the material, I would say your results are fine. I put down some mitered 1x6 ipe that came out a lot worse than that. I plan to cut some new boards 3/16" long on each side, mitered, and lay them out somewhere for a couple months in the summer heat and then cut to fit.

Another solution is to wait a few months, do something else, and you'll forget about them. Of all the imperfections we have to deal with in life, I would say those do not rank very high on the list.
ovahimba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ovahimba For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (07-04-2012), drtbk4ever (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
Newbie Bill

Use of the wax on the ends is strongly suggested to prevent the decking from splitting. I used Anchorseal and had no issues with seepage. So hopefully going forward, you don't have the leeching issue.

And I'd say your joints are just fine. Yes, they aren't perfect. But these hardwoods are going to expand and contract a fair amount so perfection isn't going to last for very long.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drtbk4ever For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #13

Wow. Beautiful wood. This truly looks amazing and truthfully I would of left it alone. Sometimes we pick apart our own work when actually no one would probably ever even notice, (except you). Nice work.

ddesigns is offline   Reply With Quote