Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #1

Share |

Pics of Sill Damage, Does it need attention ASAP?

Here are some pics of the sill plate that has damage. It appears the wood got wet and some termites got in it. The house was built in 49 and is single story with crawl space. Any info would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Sill Damage, Does it need attention ASAP?-sill-1.jpg  

twilightcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #2

Here is another picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Sill Damage, Does it need attention ASAP?-sill-2.jpg  

Old 06-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #3

Structurally, that isn't a big deal to fix. You could install a couple Simpson or USP 90* framing angles from the joist to the rim, which will support the joist while you work. Then just cut out a short section of the sill with a sawzall and a chisel, and insert a new piece tight to the bottom of the joist. You may have to shim since the existing lumber is probably thicker than today's 2x dimension material.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #4

Look again...There is more rot there than you think...The ends of the joists and maybe parts of the box sill are looking like they have some rot...There seems to be water stains in there as well...You may need to open the siding in that area outside to see what's going on...The area could need some vents ?? if there is no way to let the wood dry out...It could even be dry rot in some of the spots...
Lansing
Lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Sounds like the OP needs to check the joist, sill and ring joist and report back if they are all rotted or just parts, and how bad. Then we can help with a solution. Has the area been checked for termites? I agree that this area needs some ventilation. The OP has another thread going with mold pics from the same area.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Twilightcall
could you take a picture of the outside of the effected area? 75% of the times that I have repaired rotted sill plates and buy looking at your pictures I believe once you remove the sill plate your going to find that the bearing point of the floor joist is also some what rotted. also I believe you stated that there is only about 2'-3' crawl space. is it also a crawl space with a dirt floor.??? BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #7

Thanks guys. I will get a pic of the exterior. I got an estimate today to repair this sill and another sill. He quoted me $3200. He then said he was willing to come down. I then asked all of the options. He said he felt one sill needed partial replacement soon and that he could put 3 jacks on the other one with a 4x4 to keep it from coming down any. He said the house at this point is as straight as an arrow. No sticking doors, rafters are perfect. He said everything was straight. No cracks in the drywall by the doors etc. He said all joists are in excellent condition. This house has been vacant for ten years so it seems to me that it isn't that serious. I could be wrong but it is hard to say whether he is making it sound more important than it is to make the $$$ or if he is being honest. When I had the home inspected the inspector mentioned it but didn't think it was a big deal. I plan to get more estimates. Until yesterday I didn't think this was anything that needed to be done soon. The only reason why I thought about it was that I was replacing some slightly water damaged subfloor yesterday. The reason I am thinking about paying someone to do the job is that my carpentry skills aren't the best. I installed the central heating and air in the house and I am currently rewiring the house and installing new plumbing. My knowledge joists and sills aren't great since I don't have experience with them. Any info would be appreciated.

The crawl space has plenty of room. It has been dug out. I will try to post some more pics soon.

It has been treated for termites with Termidor.

Last edited by twilightcall; 06-05-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #8

Here is a larger pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Sill Damage, Does it need attention ASAP?-1.jpg  
Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #9

Twilightcall
before you post those pictures ,Take a screw driver and Peck around the ends and bottom of the floor joists that are bearing on the sill plate, also the outside box beam, And the last photo you posted is that water laying in the bottom of the hole. also check the girder , and let us know if the wood is soft,
I would also be concerned about the moisture coming up from the ground and affecting the floor structure, I haven't seen any type of venting in that crawl. post exterior pic, and your findings. this way you will have some knowledge when you receive your other estimates.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #10

No that isn't water. It doesn't get water from rain down there. Yes, there is vents in the cobblestone foundation. They are small vents , 6 total, 3 on each side not counting the crawl space door. Thanks Again.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #11

Here is an exterior picture. The damage is right underneath the window on the right. It starts right underneath the window and spreads to the right. This is an old pic. All bushes are gone and it looks different now.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Sill Damage, Does it need attention ASAP?-dsc01558.jpg  

Last edited by twilightcall; 06-05-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #12

Here is picture of the other area by the kitchen that he included in his quote.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Sill Damage, Does it need attention ASAP?-dsc04046.jpg  
Old 06-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #13

Here is picture showing how the foundation is laid out.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Sill Damage, Does it need attention ASAP?-dsc04075.jpg  
Old 06-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #14

the last pictures you posted does not seem to be that bad, I would not be to concerned about it. unless you can dig your screw driver into it, but from the picture it seems to just be surface damage.
the area that has the most damage is it by chance where the grade makes contact to the bottom of the siding?? the existing grade should be at least 8" from the top of the foundation. it does not appear that way from the picture.
this is something you could do your self,(changing the sill plates) you stated you did the AC and rewired the house, I'll be glade to walk you through it. your only talking $75.00 in material the most. Bob