Permits In Maryland - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Permits in maryland

If you build a new deck with overhanging roof , a new ground porch with cement slab and over hanging roof, also a over size shed in your yard, all without getting permits for this work what would they do if they found out that all this work was done without the proper permits?

Advertisement

Frank1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Permits in maryland

There's only one way to know for sure. All we can do is speculate.

I'm a codes official, and can tell you that you would likely be required to have it inspected. That would include getting a permit and providing the inspector visual access to concealed spaces, electrical, etc. I'd require proof that the footings were properly poured as well. In the city I work in, there would be a fine for building without a permit, and the project would be subject to a zoning review to determine that it doesn't encroach into any setbacks too.

Now the inevitable question...
Why on earth didn't you get a permit in the first place? To save a few bucks? Remember, the inspector is your advocate, not your enemy. They're there to ensure that the project was built safely and in a way that it won't compromise the value of your home by being incorrectly flashed, etc...That's to your benefit every time.

Place an anonymous call to the local building department and ask them this question. All we can do is guess. Different building officials will handle this differently. In a city I used to work in, if they didn't catch you in the process of building it there was no recourse taken by the city at all. So it varies.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #3

Permits in maryland

As for an oversize shed, good luck on that. All it will take is a neighbor complaint 10 years from now, and you're knocking it down.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Permits in maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1959 View Post
If you build a new deck with overhanging roof , a new ground porch with cement slab and over hanging roof, also a over size shed in your yard, all without getting permits for this work what would they do if they found out that all this work was done without the proper permits?
Which county?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #5

Permits in maryland

Baltimore county
Frank1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Permits in maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1959 View Post
Baltimore county
Last weekend the Baltimore Sun had a decent article about the different permit requirements for the Central MD region. I'm in SE Baltimore county.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #7

Permits in maryland

A friend of mine was "caught" several years back a year after his deck was built. He had to pay for a permit and get it inspected. Fortunatly for him, I assisted in the build (free beer and food). I always overbuild, so his deck passed with flying colors with kudos from the inspector.

http://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/Age...rev_forms.html

Just follow code, but permits are the way to go to avoid the hassle. You might find out the hard way ($ & time) not all inspectors are as nice as my buddy's!
usmcstormvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Permits in maryland

What's a permit?

In the People's Republic of Baltimore I would get one. They use the permits for one thing. To increase your taxes as it is considered an improvement.

The inspections are nice for safety down the road but most people do a good job of following building codes when doing construction on small projects.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
home improvement guru

Rewards Points: 25

Permits in maryland

do the right thing, get it inspected and approved.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-06-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Links Removed From Signature
aaron.klimchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #10

Permits in maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.klimchuk View Post
do the right thing, get it inspected and approved.
There. Good sound advice.

Advertisement