Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 522

permit problem

So I bought a house last year, it inspected perfectly, everything was great... after I bought it I found out the previous owners are the ones that finished the basement... that's where I started to get scared... I have been looking around, insulating hot water pipes, etc... then I noticed something... the new plumbing for the bathroom downstairs was done in a wierd way... almost all with flexable copper piping... odd... but didn't think too much about it then I ran into something when it got cold out... couldnt figure out why the basement was so cold.. the put supplemental electric heat in, ontop of the nat gas heat it had... but it was still cool... pushed up the drop cieling and felt behind the drywall and there is NOTHING behind it... no insulation at all... just 2x1 furring strips and drywall... well when talking to the permit person about the part I want to finish off (1/3rd of it is unfinished) I mentioned I wanted to get the whole basement done... he said I'd need to send in drawings for the whole basement... i said but the other 2/3rds of it was already done he gave me an uh huh kinda tone... then I said let me guess there is no permitted work for the basement... so turns out the contractor that did the basement NEVER GOT A PERMIT! ugh... now I'm in an interesting situation... I might have to rip it all out anyways because of the lack of R-10 insulation (what our area recommends)... any suggestions on what to do?

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

permit problem

Did you check the City/County records for the work done? Moving ahead, get a permit which will probably require bringing the old work up to minimum code/safety standards. Which is a good thing, and it will be on the house's record, which is why we encourage getting permits.

Be safe, Gary

Tags
permits