DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Permanent Wood Foundation Question

8K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  AtlanticWBConst. 
#1 ·
My husband and I purchased a house five years ago built in 1998 that has a permanent wood foundation. It always had something on the foundation that looked textured, like concrete. It looked so much like concrete, in fact, that you couldn't tell it wasn't until you got up close to it.

It is now starting to peel off, in a major way. The front part of the house by the garage is just down to the wood now; the covering has peeled completely off, yet most of the rest of the covering on the rest of the house remains intact. We contacted the builder to see what he used, and come to find out, they evidently don't make it any more. So, that leaves us in a quandry. We wish to sell (nothing to do with the wood foundation), and are wondering how we can make the bare wood look textured, like concrete, to match the rest of the wood foundation.

If there is anyone out there who has any suggestions, I would be very qppreciative. We don't just want to paint it gray, because it will just look like wood that has been painted gray, and it won't match the rest of the house. Any ideas??

Thanks, and have a good one!!

#3 · (Edited)
One suggestion: Put a moisture meter on the wood to see if a moisture build up is causing it to seperate. As far as what to use....no idea off the top of my head...

But, what you might want to look into is contacting a 'Wood foundation company'(manufacturer or installer) and asking them what is appropriate to use over the foundation material to get the look your want to duplicate...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.