Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #1

Share |

Perimeter drain on interior footing

I'm building an addition with a basement next to my existing home with a walk-out basement.

Currently, the exterior wall that's mostly below grade seems to allow a small amount of surface water at the floor-wall joint.

The new slab will be sitting below the height of the existing floor, so I anticipate that this problem will go away. The new basement will get a perimeter drain, so I'm not sure if this soon-to-be interior footing will need its own drain. Should I bother installing drain tile along this footing?

Last edited by benjamincall; 07-20-2011 at 10:25 AM.
benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

We never have and have fortunately not had a problem there. We do pour a concrete bulkhead against the existing floor & footing in this situation though, which surely helps block the water. You will want to put an additional sump crock in the new,lower basement though.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
We never have and have fortunately not had a problem there. We do pour a concrete bulkhead against the existing floor & footing in this situation though, which surely helps block the water. You will want to put an additional sump crock in the new,lower basement though.
I would like to avoid a sump, since the new basement will be fully finished. Won't drain tile and a dimpled membrane be sufficient? The new slab will be five inches lower than the existing slab. I don't believe I have a water table issue.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #4

So, a number have months have passed since I posted to this thread. In the meantime, I ran out of money to excavate the basement for the addition.

I still have periodic water issues from the floor-wall joint on the existing wall, so I'm going to remove a temporary carport that probably channels a lot of water toward the foundation. What can I do as a temporary measure to further divert rainwater away from the problem area? Should I dig down to the footing (only about four feet down) and affix some 6 mil poly sheeting to the concrete block? I guess I have to backfill to avoid creating a moat, right?

Last edited by benjamincall; 01-04-2012 at 05:35 PM.