Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #1

Share |

Pergolas with ceiling fanwith lights

How to enforce middle of pergola's open ceiling to install ceiling fan with lights?

i9626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
DIY staff

A picture or link to the plans would help----

However, the usual way is to securely screw in some wood blocking--pine not cedar(cedar is soft and won't hold screws well) then screw a steel box to that.----mount the fan/light to the box.

There are weather proof fans available--if you choose to use an indoor fan, make sure that it is in a rain free part of the structure.(and expect a shorter life from the fan)--Mike---

i9626 (02-27-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
Builder/Remodeler

I'm going to assume the pergola is cedar or treated. I'd disagree on using pine outdoors.

A pergola, by definition has no roof structure--only an open canopy. If it's a gazebo (with roof), then pine would be fine.

Typically we use cross blocking in the same material as the pergola. The last one we installed had rough cedar 2x12 joists, and we installed a rough cedar 2x4 block from joist to joist (flat) to support the fan box.

Supporting the light usually isn't an issue--it's making the electrical conduit and box weatherproof.
ChrWright is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrWright For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-27-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #4

New to the sight, and only slightly interested in a ceiling fan in a pergola...but our house is brick and the back of the house is beating in the after noon sun to the point that being on the deck is uncomfortable. It's a 50'x20' deck. Not perfectly rectangle but you get the idea, it's huge.

To continue this thread, is there an issue with cedar and screws?

Could you construct a larger center block to help weather proof the box?

And is metal conduit a code issue or could you use 3/4" pvc?
pjordan4477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #5

bump
pjordan4477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #6

I'd like to bring this old post back to life. When I install my fan to my cedar pergola in the next couple of weeks, I am/was planning on adding cedar 2 x 4s above the 2" x 6" rafters to mount the fan. Does anyone have thoughts on whether this is okay or not? I prefer all the wood look the same, BUT safety comes first. It would be a bad day if it came loose and fell on someone's head.

My pergola currently has a/c (pvc conduit and j boxes) to power the tv, lights, and ceiling fan. The tv is installed and the lights and fan will go up soon. I was concerned about getting a strong mount for the tv into the cedar posts. Before I installed the tv mount (6" x 6" posts) for a small 12lb tv, I tested hot dipped galvanized screws into scrap cedar to see how tight I could get it before it stripped out and it wasn't an issue at all. But as for how a vibrating ceiling fan will work, I don't know.

blue sky is offline   Reply With Quote