Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #1

Share |

Pergola's

I am hoping someone on this site can help me. I had a contractor come out to quote installing a pergola over my existing deck. Because my deck has a step up at the midpoint, attaching the pergola to the house will only give a clearance of 6'8" at the higher level. The other option he said is to attach the pergola to the roof.The guy said they do this all the time without issue. I have asked around about this and have been advised by several people (not contractors!) that this is not a good idea as it can create problems down the road with leaking and it's just not worth the risk. What is your take on this? Should this be avoided? Thanks so much!!

c3marchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #2

Pergola's

Would this work?

Pergola's-image-1974072199.jpg

MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #3

Pergola's

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3marchi View Post
I am hoping someone on this site can help me. I had a contractor come out to quote installing a pergola over my existing deck. Because my deck has a step up at the midpoint, attaching the pergola to the house will only give a clearance of 6'8" at the higher level. The other option he said is to attach the pergola to the roof.The guy said they do this all the time without issue. I have asked around about this and have been advised by several people (not contractors!) that this is not a good idea as it can create problems down the road with leaking and it's just not worth the risk. What is your take on this? Should this be avoided? Thanks so much!!
If done wrong it can be a major problem. But it can be done right and not be an issue at all.

Here is a cool product that would probably work perfectly in this situation.
http://www.skylifthardware.com/
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robertcdf For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #4

Pergola's

thanks for the link robert .....

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #5

Pergola's

Thanks so much for the replies. The drawing of the stand along pergola would work although my house is different in that it wraps around the deck where the pergola will be. On the left the kitchen juts out and on the right the bedroom juts out so the issue with a stand along pergola is that you need 4 post and one post would have to go right beside the door into the kitchen and the other beside the door into the bedroom. Not impossible but a little awkward. The link to the skylift seems neat but you are still penetrating the roof so not sure how that is better. I also had the thought of attaching to the house as planned but slant the pergola up to create more clearance where the step is. But it would slant upwards away from the house versus slanting down. I suppose that would work but not sure how it would look.
c3marchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Pergola's

About two years ago I got a call to "repair" a Pergola that had some fallen boards. Upon arrival going to the back of the house I did indeed see some fallen boards. The contractor who built this Pergola had nailed the 2 x 6 ledger board directly to the fascia boards of the home. The Pergola and fascia boards were lying on the ground while the other end of the Pergola was still up in the air. I told the homeowner that I could repair all of this but would not attach the Pergola back to the fascia in any manner. I made this a free-standing Pergola by adding 2 x 6 post in four place along the wall of the home. I secured the posts by drilling up into them with a 3/4" long bit, drilled and secured some 3/4" rebar into the patio then stood the post up and placing the hole of the post onto the rebar. There was a great view of their pool from their kitchen window, the window of the great room and the exterior door of the great room but was broken up with seven 4 x4's the contractor had used to hold up the outer end of the Pergola. I changed all this to PT beams with only two 8 x8's holding all of this up. All corners got decorative corner braces installed to prevent swaying/racking also. Personally I would not attach weight of the Pergola to any part of the home. IMO--A Pergola should be free-standing. For the life of me I don't understand Pergola's, no shade, no rain protection, although they do make a good grape vine arbor.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-11-2013), MJ Force (04-11-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #7

Pergola's

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3marchi View Post
Thanks so much for the replies. The drawing of the stand along pergola would work although my house is different in that it wraps around the deck where the pergola will be. On the left the kitchen juts out and on the right the bedroom juts out so the issue with a stand along pergola is that you need 4 post and one post would have to go right beside the door into the kitchen and the other beside the door into the bedroom. Not impossible but a little awkward. The link to the skylift seems neat but you are still penetrating the roof so not sure how that is better. I also had the thought of attaching to the house as planned but slant the pergola up to create more clearance where the step is. But it would slant upwards away from the house versus slanting down. I suppose that would work but not sure how it would look.
Is your roof devoid of all penetrations? I doubt it. You have similar sized penetrations already and this has a boot that will work much better at waterproofing than anything jerry-rigged.
The sky lift when flashed properly is not going to be any more of a danger of leakage than the plumbing vent pipes you already have going through the roof.

robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robertcdf For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (04-14-2013)