Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #1

Share |

Pergola wood

Hi,

I'm planning a 12' square pergola using knotty ceder. The posts will be set 10' apart. I am planning to use 2x6. Thing they will sag over that span?

Thanks!

JamesMop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #2

Pergola wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMop View Post
Hi,
Thing they will sag over that span?
Yes, they will sag; technically any beam will sag, even under its own weight and on a very short span.
The qustion should be: how much sag are you prepared to accept, ie will it be noticeable?
However, I was just hair-splitting. Back on Planet Earth,I don't think you will have any practical problem with sagging (more correctly known in the trade as 'deflection').
(Where I am, our code allows 2x6 for floor joists at 16" centres over just short of a 10ft span, with low (ie un-noticeable) deflection, so your pergola beams will be just fine).
There might be a slight tendency to twist, so are you putting some blocking pieces between them?

tony.g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #3

Pergola wood

Thanks for the reply.

I was planning to run 24" centers both parallel and perpendicular to the house, sort of a grid design. I planned on using a double 2x6 around the perimeter but I've been reading that I'd be better off using a wider board instead of doubling. I'm not sure which would be sturdier/ look better.
JamesMop is offline   Reply With Quote