Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pergola posts splitting

New to the forum and have a question. Recently had a pergola built and almost every one of the posts (8x8) are showing significant splits, some being worse than the others. I was told by the company the built it during construction (i first noticed some before it was completed) that all of the posts are center cut and not to worry. I'm more concerned now because a couple have gotten significantly worse since completion, and it's only been a couple of weeks. Should I be concerned? See pictures.

Hoover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Pergola posts splitting

You don't mention which wood was used. If it was pressure treated, checking(splitting) of the wood is to be expected. Generally more cosmetic then structural.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Pergola posts splitting

Looks okay to me.

Posts should be free of heart centre material to avoid checking, and the ends could have been sealed, but those pictures wouldn't bother me. Wood checks. It can't be entirely stopped. Those checks aren't an issue.
Add a coat of stain next Spring.

Last edited by jlhaslip; 10-04-2010 at 10:33 PM.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote