Pergola Ledger Board Question - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Pergola ledger board question

Hi, New to this forum. Seems like a lot of helpful information. Here's my dillema. I am building a pergola that I want attached to the back of my house. The design is two 2x6's spaced 5" apart running perpendicular from the house out over a column. This is done three times to make the length of the pergola. I then will run 2x6's over the top of these parallel to the house. My dilema is I really dont want to run a ledger board the entire length (24') just to make three attachments. Is it possible to do three small ledgers or another option so I don't have to run the long ledger. Estetically it just wouldn't look good.
Thanks.

Advertisement

rtibbs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

It would help if you explained the entire construction design. The total span of the 2x6's, what else will be up there, the size of the support columns, etc... There isn't one universal construction method, it's based on design.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #3

Hi Ron and thanks for the reply. I am attaching a rough diagram with layout and dimensions.

My support columns are the wood columns from HD. They are over a PT 4x4 that is cemeted in a 4' deep footing/column. I think each one is rated 1500lbs. The 2x6's run over the top of the columns. The length of the pergola will be 24' x 14' with one side being 10' which is on the diagram. No overhead roof or anything. This is stricktly being built for shade and to add some characted to the patio and gardens. I am building it with 2x6 Douglas fir. Any advice is appreciated.
Randy
Old 07-05-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
Custom Deck Builder

Rewards Points: 75

(3) 6x6 posts, 1' tall - bolt 'em to the house framing (predrill everything to prevent any splitting of the wood), put decorative end cuts on them to pretty 'em up. Make sure you hit the house framing and not just the siding w/ your bolts/lag screws.
Screw (lag or Simpson SDS) your 2x6s to the sides of the 6x6 posts (again, predrill everything).
Viola - no ledger board.

ETA: D. fir is not an outdoor wood - if that's what you're going to use, stain the crap out of it and expect it not to last as long as cedar, redwood or pt syp...

Mac
BuiltByMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #5

Thanks builtbymac.

I was thinking of something similar. The DF is a price thing and yes, I am going to stain the hell out of it. Cedar was just too expensive right now.

Question: Do you think I can sandwich (2) or (3) 2x6x1' instead of the 6x6 post. Drill and attach it to the house and then lag the 2x6 joists on to the side? Also, does it have to be 1' tall?

Thanks again
Old 07-06-2008, 12:30 AM   #6
Custom Deck Builder

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtibbs4 View Post
Question: Do you think I can sandwich (2) or (3) 2x6x1' instead of the 6x6 post. Drill and attach it to the house and then lag the 2x6 joists on to the side?
That should work. Just make sure the lags coming in from the 2x6 beams are hitting the centers of your blocks. And predrill, predrill, predrill everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtibbs4 View Post
Also, does it have to be 1' tall?
The 1' was so you'd have tails -top and bottom - to cut in a pretty decorative cut - that way, it's not just a block of wood bolted to your house. I would, however, make it large enough so that the lags into your house are not in the same area as the lags coming in from the 2x6 beams - that's too much hardware in a 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" area. Even w/ predrilling, there's too much chance of weakening the wood to failure down the road.

Hey, when you get it built, toss some pics into this thread so we can see how it turned out...

Mac
BuiltByMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #7

Thanks for the input from everyone. The project was finished a month or so ago. I will get some pics of it up shortly.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Tags
ledger board , pergola