Pergola Attached To Second Story Deck - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Pergola Attached to Second Story Deck

Hello,

I am in the process of redecking a sound, but left untreated deck. I am replacing the deck boards and railings only, and sanding/staining the structural members.

I had a thought that I may be able to add a small pergola to the deck.

Do you have any thoughts on this design?

Deck:
14 x 16 long, 2 x 8 Boards
2 x 10 16 OC, Half cantilevered on the sides, the with the middle boards joist hangered on due to a doorwall protrusion

The two end joists have sistered 2 x 12 cantileveverd boards to make a groove for decking

The end of the Deck has 4 x 6 posts (3x) going into concrete piers. All of the joists rest on 2 2x12 boards that are lagbolted into the posts, one on each side of the post.

Pergola:
There are 4 x 4 railing posts. One On each corner, and a middle post on each side. Each is attached inside the farthest joist using blocking (The full length of the 2 x 10)

I was going to take the middle posts on the side, plus the far corner posts, and extend these upwards by 5 more feet

I would then lag bolt in 2 x 6 boards at the top going lengthwise, then add 2 x 6 pergola beams across the deck with. I was going to use 2 x 6 to cut down on weight and wind drag

Sorry for the bad drawing. I'll clarify if there is something that is illegible!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pergola.PDF (45.8 KB, 113 views)

Advertisement

kaalapurushha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #2

Bueller?

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Maryland

Rewards Points: 250

What drawing?
Pittsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Really need to see a drawing to understand properly what you are proposing. A pergola would normally involve a beam supported on top of the posts and then the joists extend out and notched over this ... As opposed to lag bolting in to the side of the posts. I'm not saying it can't be done as it's non structural but if you google "pergola design" you'll see how one traditionally is built. Again a picture may confirm or otherwise what I am trying to imagine you're design is.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
Really need to see a drawing to understand properly what you are proposing. A pergola would normally involve a beam supported on top of the posts and then the joists extend out and notched over this ... As opposed to lag bolting in to the side of the posts. I'm not saying it can't be done as it's non structural but if you google "pergola design" you'll see how one traditionally is built. Again a picture may confirm or otherwise what I am trying to imagine you're design is.
I think I have come to that conclusion also after doing more research.

My main concern was whether I could attatch the deck to the pergola without having the pergola posts drop down to new concrete piers.

I made another sketch showing what the pergola would look like. The posts would be notched into the 2 x 12 "side joists". (Note, the other joists are 2 x 10, but the two ends are 2 x 12)

If you look at the original drawing, the pergola would be on the two sets of leftmost 4 x 4s.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pergola.PDF (56.1 KB, 94 views)