Perennial Wood For Deck,anyone Used It? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 85

Perennial Wood for deck,anyone used it?

Has anyone tried this product yet.

Is Southern Yellow pine even recommended for decking?

Thanks for everyones input

Advertisement

spring3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

As you know, Perennial Wood is one of the newer composite materials but unlike synthetics made of plastics, its major ingredient is wood. It comes pre-finished in several color options. It is supposed to resist cupping and warping and offer different levels of durability. I have never used it or specified it. I admit I did not scour the website completely as I should have but did not see its relative hardness.

There are a number of composite materials available including some made of bamboo and composite bamboo for external decks and some with hidden fasteners that look quite nice installed. Of course their are imported and exotic hardwoods that make for beautiful and long lasting decking---for a price. I raced sailboats in a past life and my fave of all times had a teak deck that lived outside in a salt water environment. We did absolutely nothing to maintain the deck but wipe of oily spills and anything that might stain it. In fact the builder encouraged owners not to do anything at all to the teak.

The Janka Hardness Scale is one way that the hardness of wood is rated at least with one species relative to another. Here is a quick little basic reference chart showing the hardness of popular domestic woods for decking:

Redwood - 480
Fir - 660
Yellow Pine - 690-870
PT Pine - 870
Cedars - Around 900

The major problem with pine is that it does not hold up to the elements well unless pressure treated and regularly maintained. Left uncared for it will deteriorate very quickly and check and splinter in just a couple seasons. Things like redwood and cedar have better resistance to rotting and insects naturally. Redwood's major flaw as a decking material is that it is soft.

To answer your question, yellow pine is used often for outdoor construction if it is pressure treated. Something like 70 percent of constructed elements have some amount of PT pine in them. I sold landscape supplies used for a variety of purposes that were non-milled, solid timber lodgepole pines peeled and usually treated. Diameters of 100 years old, or older, trees ranged in diameter from 2" to about 12". They grew so close together and dry they were real threats to healthy forests. They were incredibly flexible and strong as evidenced by their use by Native American tribes who used them to support portable dwellings.

I worked mainly on antique homes the end of my full time work career. It was not uncommon to see nice hardwood floors in the downstair common areas of them but pine floors upstairs in the private quarters. They were often beyond rescue even indoors due to neglect over the years.

The attached chart skips a lot of domestic woods but will give you a relative idea of how our construction woods stack up to hardwoods and imports.
Attached Thumbnails
Perennial Wood for deck,anyone used it?-hardness-scale.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 05-15-2013 at 05:41 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hello, this is Rachel Cain with Perennial Wood. This post came across my feed, and I wanted to be sure to reach out to you both to clarify a couple points about Perennial Wood. First, and most importantly, itís not a composite. Itís real wood thatís been modified via acetylation. This process allows for less movement over the long term vs. unmodified wood. It is Southern Pine, but it acts more like a hardwood due to the modification process. Youíll see it has 25% more surface hardness than raw Southern pine once modified. (link removed)

Kind regards,
Rachel Cain

Last edited by kwikfishron; 05-16-2013 at 11:43 AM.
hortoncain is offline   Reply With Quote