Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #1

Share |

Peeling Silicon in shower

I caulked my natural stone/ceramic tile shower about 2 months ago (grout had cured for a week and was very clean) with "GE Silicone II Kitchen & Bath". Today i noticed that some of the silicon was loose while cleaning the shower and manged to peel all the silicon off with very little effort.

The silicon was not even sticking to the grout! (as you can see, there is a lot of grout)

The stone/grout was sealed with http://www.aquamix.com.au/products/sealers-choice-gold.php
and is sprayed down daily with http://www.tilex.com/daily-shower-cleaner/

Ive been using sealants from GE for years and never had any issues. Any one know a superior product (for shower application) or can explain the premature failure? I emailed GE and waiting for a response from them.

Thanks

Eric

Eric J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:19 AM   #2

I can not tell you why it failed, although I have never used that GE product in a shower, nor would I. I mostly use Premium Acrylic Caulk by Laticrete (never had a call back) or whatever grout I purchase I normally purchase thier caulk. Most often thier color will match thier grout. Grout products made by Custom also have thier own caulk. I would suggest a grout made specificly for showers such as the ones mentioned above. Better caulks and grouts are found at better tile stores.(btw, I have the same shower floor in my cabin)

Old 10-23-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Most silicone caulks have adhesion issues when used on masonry like grout, stone or concrete. I would get some caulk specifically for tiled areas. It will likely be urethane or acrylic based instead of silicone. Silicone is sort of an all purpose sealant, but it has limitations. There are some "next generation" silicones that supposedly have overcome the adhesion issues, but I've not seen any in comsumer grade products.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #4

I would guess that the sealer is preventing the caulk from adhering; you might call GE technical line and ask them about your problem. Sometimes they can be very helpful. To try again, I'd use a bathroom caulk with silicone that contains a mildewcide. I don't see a full acrylic caulk holding up as well over time (IMO). You might ask the GE line if cleaning the tile with alcohol will help remove surface contaminants prior to recaulking to improve adhesion. Shower looks very nice by the way. Your work?
bob22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #5

Thanks guys! Now that you mention it, I do remember noticing that all the tile brand sealers were acrylic based but assumed that had to do will coloring, not adhesion. And yes Bob 22, it is my work, setting the pebbles was much harder than I anticipated but the results were worth it.
Eric J is offline   Reply With Quote