Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #1

Share |

Peeling paint from old stucco

What would be the best way to tackle this project? The house I bought was a distressed 1924 Dutch Colonial with an original stucco exterior. Over the years, it was painted many times and the paint is peeling, escpecially the last layer of paint that was slapped on less than 2 years ago.

I assume there's a few ways to go with this. One would be to remove as much of the peeling paint as possible then repaint, but I think this would look sloppy and uneven if not all of the paint comes off with a power washer.

Second way would be to remove as much paint as possible then re-stucco on top of the original stucco. I'm not sure how this would adhere and i'm concerned about breathability issues for the stucco that i've read about online. Though this house was foreclosed and is old, there were no moisture issues when we gutted the inside and I don't want to compromise that (i've read about issues with synthetic stucco regarding this).

What would be the best way to get a clean looking exterior? I want to do it right once and not have to fight with it a couple years down the line. I also want the finish to be white so that might also factor into the product or method used.

Thanks in advance!

johnny_ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #2

Peeling paint from old stucco

You might have to deal with lead paint on a house that old. I'd check what the homeowner responsibilities are before starting. Contractor violations have a fine of around $37,500. per issue.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote