Peeling Exterior Porch - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Peeling exterior porch

I need some help. My exterior entry porch paint peels excessively and has to be repainted every year...or more. There is also some rot. There is no vapor barrier underneath. I think that's the problem. I cannot access the area under the porch however, without destroying it. Can I tile? Is there any spray vapor barrier? Thank you.

Advertisement

christinecfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,098

Peeling exterior porch

I would remove enough decking to get into the space and install a v.b. on the dirt. Check the floor assembly carefully for rot and damage. It may be more extensive than you think, or not. If you are seeing rot, there is more. I prime my deck boards on the bottoms before installation. Open a vent at each end for cross-flow, to help dry and stay dry. If you tile over existing, the rot will continue as it is caused by a fungus. The boards are trying to dry out through the tops, but the paint stops it, hence the peeling and flaking paint. Do not use oil-based as it will rot quicker. Can you vent in a rim-end joist? A picture would help.
Be safe, G

Advertisement

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Peeling exterior porch

Thank you, G. Unfortunately it's a rather small deck and I'd have to destroy it to pull up any boards to get underneath. Former home owner cut a lot of corners I'm finding. Is there any such thing as spray on vapor barrier? Would stripping it and just staining it work? THanks again. -C
christinecfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,098

Peeling exterior porch

You could spray insulate the dirt.... though I never heard it done before. How would you spray it without pulling any boards? What is the condition of the framing? Is there active fungus and mildew? How far does the rot go, how deep? Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
porch , vapor barrier