Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #1

Share |

Pebbles to "tile" my back porch?

Wondering if anyone has ever put pebbles -- like small smooth river stones that are sold in bags at HD -- in thinset and then grouted.

I have a 5x5 concrete slab porch with a brick border. There used to be tiles on the porch so the brick is about 1/4" higher than the concrete. I want to tile over the concrete with small river rocks -- I mean, I want to do it myself. Yes, I have tiled before, but always with regular square tiles.

Is this pebble idea a bad idea? My husband thinks I have lost my mind.

carissajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #2

I have another option for ya however it may require more work but I think would also hold up better.

What we have done before is ordered concrete mixed with pea gravel or someother type of aggregate. The concrete company should have a few options for ya. Then after its all poured and struck off you lightly spray the top with a retarder that will keep the very top from setting up as fast as the rest.
After a wait, the time will depend on many factors like moisture temp etc, you spray the top with a high powered garden hose or pressure washer(careful) to remove the top layer of cement leaving the gravel protruding and looking like it had been set in mortar.
Its been awhile since I have done, and havent done many times so ya may want to research on the web a little bit, but maybe this will give ya another option.

Trying to hold all those stones in place while grouting around might prove to be pretty tough. I have seen it after its been done and looks good just not sure how easy its gonna be.

Cmudr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #3

Much easier to do when they come in sheets:http://www.decorativeconcretefinishes.com/
Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #4

Omg totally forgot about those haha, good call, that would definately work. Post some pics when your done
Cmudr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #5

Saw the thread title and thought you were hiring the Flintstones!
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrgins For This Useful Post:
carissajames (02-18-2011), Cmudr1 (02-18-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #6

ROFL Took me a minute to get it but now I do -- Flintstones -- Pebbles -- I needed that.

looked at the pebble stone tile sheets but they are $10.00 square foot. That's more than I can pay.

I have already poured the concrete so can't do the method of spraying off the concrete.

Feeling overwhelmed. I have worked so hard to bust out the old porch and pour the new one and now I have just lost heart. I can't make myself finish.

And all you guys out there will appreciate this -- my husband told me when I started this that I was in over my head and he wasn't going to be here to help ANY since he was out of town. I think he was right. I do feel "over my head" BUT I WILL NEVER ADMIT THAT TO HIM!
carissajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #7

i like your idea. the hardest part is going to be keeping your thinset from drying out bc this is time consuming. its no different than using those sheets its just that the pebbles are more consistent in size.
bluebird5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Tileguy

carrissajames,

I have done that very thing. It works just fine. I used the individual random river stones for a outdoor shower floor at a sand beach lake house about eleven years ago. Everything is still in tact.

I also put slate tile on a concrete patio then did a design using random slate chips, all is well there also.

A few things to keep in mind is that the concrete will quickly absorb the moisture of the thinset. So keep the concrete substrate full of moisture ahead of spreading the thinset so as to slow down the drying process. This can be done easily using a garden sprayer.

Using the proper thinset mortar is also key, I would buy unmodified thinset then mix it with its companion liquid additive. Don't mix with water, mix with the additive only. This will give you a much better "modified" thinset mortar than what you would readily buy from a home center.

The additive will shorten the pot-life however so mix the thinset in small batches.

Use a suitable notched trowel to spread the thinset, probably a 1/4" X 3/8" X 1/4" would work best depending on the size of the stones.

You will find yourself placing stones and it's a good idea to place them tightly and reducing the grout space. Large spaces between the stones will be hard to grout and you will dig-out too much grout during the grout finishing process if the gaps are too big.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #9

My only question on this project is will it be exposed to snow and/or freezing temperatures? I'd be worried about freeze/thaw popping the stones out or breaking down the grout. Perhaps this is an unfounded concern?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
Tileguy

Hasn't happened here so far. Don't know why. Using the proper tinset mortar and grout and using proper installation techniques is the key. Oh Wait! I've already said that.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote