Pebbles Showing Through Concrete - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 158

Pebbles showing through concrete

Hi,

We're building a house and the just got done pouring the concrete and removing the forms for the walls. I went there today while they were spraying the waterproof membrane, and snapped some pictures.

I had a question about how the concrete looks. On the inside, it looks fine. On the outside, there are two or three areas where the rocks in the concrete have shown through. Here are the areas of concern...

This one is where the front porch will be. There's no 'basement' area underneath the front porch. In this picture, it's about a four foot wall that has a footer underneath it. My concern is the rocks and cracks. Will this cause problems for me in the future? Is there a fix if there is a problem?

The second question I have is this one.

This is a little different because this is where the 'lookout windows' will be placed. So in this area, it will be in the basement. It's basically the corner of the basement. On the upper-left hand side of the picture is where the garage is. This is not excavated, but there is an 8' wall over here because of the lookout.

There is one more spot that's on the corner, but it's basically the same thing...where the rocks on the concrete are poking through.

I'm not an expert and that's why I'm coming here for a non-biased answer. Is this normal? Should I be concerned or worried? Will it crumble in the future?

Thanks in advanced...

Advertisement

Last edited by wiz561; 07-20-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: changed throw to threw in the subject.
wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

I suppose there could be a measurable strength loss somewhere there. But I doubt it will effect your building one bit. Just have the contractor slurry it up with fill. This is a bit extreme, but similiar pours are not uncommon in most construction today.

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,302

The contractor did not know how to place concrete and should do the repairs. - Lack of vibration causing what is called "honeycombing". Hopefully it is not on both sides, but the other side and adjacent will not be as they should be.

Probably not a structural problem, but should be corrected as soon as possible for a good repair or you can have water problems.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz561 View Post

I'm not an expert and that's why I'm coming here for a non-biased answer. Is this normal? Somewhat common, yes. Should I be concerned or worried? No. Will it crumble in the future? It will last longer than any other element of the house that sits's on it.

Thanks in advanced...
Thise walls actually look fairly good IMO, especially for the Advance 4 band sytem that they used.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #5

Thank you all for the responses. I was thinking about this last night and a little this-morning, and it probably shouldn't be anything of concern. I figured that when you pour a sidewalk, the underbelly of it probably looks like this. Sidewalks last forever, so this should too.

I just figured that it was something that stuck out from the rest of the area. Everything else is smooth, so I figured that if one or two things are different, it might be something to question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Thise walls actually look fairly good IMO, especially for the Advance 4 band sytem that they used.

What is the 'Advance 4 band" system? I did a google search on it and I got everything from cellular bands to lap bands. When they put the forms up, I did catch the name "Duraform". I just assumed it was the name of the forms that allow a non-stick like surface. Is duraform a commercial name of the advance 4 band system?

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,090

you're getting diverse opinions above & they're probably all correct altho i'd side w/dick more than will or jo.

whoever was on the vibrator didn't do so hot but the repair's easy enough to do,,, i'd also be concerned about the dampproofing that's been applied,,, as the foundation moves,there's a great probability of water intrusion,,, doubt the walls're poured over waterstop so NOW's the time to fix that item imn-s-hfo
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Jack of all master of sum

Rewards Points: 25

Curious to know, was the concrete placed with a telebelt?, inexperienced telebelt operator and \ or inexperienced placer will yield the same results, but it's an easy fix and generally nothing to worry about structurally . See this all the time in production homes ( Lego sets), usually in the garage drops. looks to be a builder grade ( min Building Code) 15 mpa concrete. Kinda looks like a cold joint in the fruit cellar. Also it's not very often I see anybody vibrate a residential wall, generally the only residential walls that get vibrated around here are ICF walls, I have pumped hundreds of them.

Last edited by BobCaygeon; 07-21-2010 at 09:33 AM.
BobCaygeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #8

I actually don't know how the concrete was poured, as I missed out watching it. It would have been cool to see it done.

Thanks for all the comments. It's great to get an experts opinion!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,480

Advance & Duraform are the same thing, and I actually think Advanced may have bought Duraform out years ago. Either way, they're a 1 1/8" plywood panel with 4 steel bands across them to hold the clips to the form permanently. The make 4, 5 & 6 band in the 8' height (yes, I know you have a 9' basement though ) with the 6 band being the most "stout" and flexible for the concrete placement.

The honeycomb in the stoop looks bad, but the fill will be balanced in the end, so the walls wil be doing very little and should have no problem.

The basement corner honeycomb is minimal IMO, and it would definately help asthetically to have them slurry over it. The slurry will do little to nothing for the integrity of the wall, which isn't compromised substantially anyways. It's not that uncommon to get a little honeycomb on the corners with this system.

As for the vibrating, it would be risky business plunging any kind of vibrator with a head bigger than an inch in those walls with the 4 band system. I definately wouldn't be standing near during vibration, much less on the wall. I've seen far too many blow-outs with the 4 bands in my younger days.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #10

Hi,

Another (related) question. The "mix description" was a "3000 psi low ae". What is 'low ae'?

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #11

Sorry...I found that "AE" stands for Air-Entrained Concrete. Should have dug deeper before posting.

Advertisement