Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Pebbled Stucco / Concrete Foundation Veneering?

Forgive me if this is common and known under some name I can't find it under...

Has anyone tried to finish a foundation exterior base with applying a base mortar coat and then troweling/throwing on gravel into the bed to achieve this sort of look - Pebbledashing. If so, any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated. I had been looking into re-stuccoing or applying ledgestone veneer to my foundation base but had this idea. Any thoughts/tips, and how this idea might compare in cost, ease of install, and weathering? Thanks much!

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/bo...-like-wall.jpg

http://www.businesscards2k.com/cards...7vnqwx_300.jpg

Should I worry this will happen? Yikes!
http://www.eurocote.co.uk/images/Pebble_dash_cracks.jpg

p.s. sorry for not attaching as pics - on my cell and doesn't allow.

Last edited by 99altrade; 06-21-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Rephrase.
99altrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #2

I just read this on Wikipedia. WTF, for real? I would think tastefully done with other types of materials on the exterior it would be attractive.

"Though it is an occasional home-design fad, its general unpopularity is estimated to reduce the value of a property by up to 5%.[1]"

99altrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #3

Pebbledash used to be quite popular here, but has gone out of fashion now. It can be difficult to patch if any bits fall off.
It's best to use a waterproofer in the scratch coat. The top, or butter coat needs lime in the mix. The secret is to throw on the pebbles with a harling trowel when the mix has gone off just enough to hold them. Don't stand too close so the pebbles get a good spread. Don't try and cover all in on go, but go over it quite a few times. Then push them home with a wooden float.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart45 For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (06-21-2011)