Patio Swing Install - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

patio swing install

Well she's been nagging me about mounting this bench swing (5ft long) for about three months now, so i started looking at ways to mount it and i have a few questions. I have located a 2x12 ceiling joist where i plan on mounting but after some research i found that i don't want to just use lag eye bolts due to possible wallowing out over time and all that weight (family of five) on just two lags.
The span is 7.5 ft from wall to pillar. I want to install two shouldered eye bolts 6ft apart (incase i decide to replace swing w/ a 6ft later)on a treated 4x4. Then mount the 4x4 to the ceiling with four to six lag bolts.
So will this work? What size lag bolts should i use? Should i mount additional bracing to the brick for added support (overkill???) I really dont want this swing to fall and hurt anyone.
Attached are some pics to show ya'll what i'm talking about
Attached Thumbnails
patio swing install-photo0213.jpg   patio swing install-photo0214.jpg   patio swing install-photo0215.jpg  

Advertisement

twholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

patio swing install

I'd install eye bolts through a framing member with a large washer, lock washer and nut.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #3

patio swing install

Well i can't access the top of the framing member without tearing apart my soffit.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #4

patio swing install

Quote:
Originally Posted by twholland View Post
Well i can't access the top of the framing member without tearing apart my soffit.
So, take the soffit apart. Or do it your way.
Ron
Old 10-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #5

patio swing install

I appreciate the input to ensure that my install is performed correctly, but i would like to know if "my way" will still be as safe.
BTW, if it matters, this is the first time i have posted on any DIY forum.

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #6

patio swing install

Quote:
I appreciate the input to ensure that my install is performed correctly, but i would like to know if "my way" will still be as safe.
BTW, if it matters, this is the first time i have posted on any DIY forum.

Thanks everyone.
I advise people how to do it in a way I would do it, based on my experience. Forum virgin, not withstanding.
No, I don't think your way will work. You're lagging a 4x4 to the structure you have. You didn't want to lag the swing, so why lag the 4x4? I think you would end up with a, "hinge effect" over time. The 4x4 would begin to move creating a bending effect on the lags holding it. The metal would fatigue and fail.
I do have a tendency to over build so...
I'm sure someone else will come along and give their advice.
Ron
Old 10-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #7

patio swing install

I figured multiple lags through the 4x4 into the framing member would much better than using on just the two lag eyes. Putting four lags, one on each side of the each eye bolt and maybe two more towards the middle of the 4x4.
I never thought of the hinge effect so what if i just counter sinking the lags to help prevent that.
I would love to mount this as you mentioned previously, but i am just trying to be less instrusive. Not trying to "cut corners", just trying something different. Thanks
Old 10-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #8

patio swing install

Quote:
I figured multiple lags through the 4x4 into the framing member would much better than using on just the two lag eyes. Putting four lags, one on each side of the each eye bolt and maybe two more towards the middle of the 4x4.
I never thought of the hinge effect so what if i just counter sinking the lags to help prevent that.
I would love to mount this as you mentioned previously, but i am just trying to be less instrusive. Not trying to "cut corners", just trying something different. Thanks
If you were hanging a static load, I would see no issue. But yours is a dynamic load. There is also the issue of the substrate. how deep would you penetrate it? Too close to the edge and the holding power is zip.
Maybe lag an angle iron up there. Cut holes in the vertical side and hook the swing into that. Use an angle iron used for lintels, (4x4 eg).
Just paint the angel iron after the holes were cut to seal the metal.
Ron
Old 10-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #9

patio swing install

Thanks for the input Ron. I'll just have to do a little deconstructing and do this the right way. Thanks again.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #10

patio swing install

Quote:
Thanks for the input Ron. I'll just have to do a little deconstructing and do this the right way. Thanks again.
So, I guess the iron angle didn't make the cut?
Ron
Old 10-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #11

patio swing install

Well sorry Ron, the first time i read your angle iron suggestion i misunderstood what you was saying, but reading over it again i think its a great idea. It takes the hinge effect pretty much out of the equation. And i know just the place to pick up some 2" angle iron.
Should these 1/2" x 10" lags do the trick? This may sound newbie-ish, but what size holes should i predrill for the 1/2" lags? Thanks
Old 10-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #12

patio swing install

Quote:
Well sorry Ron, the first time i read your angle iron suggestion i misunderstood what you was saying, but reading over it again i think its a great idea. It takes the hinge effect pretty much out of the equation. And i know just the place to pick up some 2" angle iron.
Should these 1/2" x 10" lags do the trick? This may sound newbie-ish, but what size holes should i predrill for the 1/2" lags? Thanks
Who's going on this swing, a family of Sumo wrestlers?
The engineering of the support is a "hand in glove" endeavor. The fasteners are based on what's it's fastening as well as the expected load and the substrate it's going into.
How thick is this 2" angle? 1/4"? 3/8"? Will the angle be continuous accross the entire width of the opening or will it be 2 pieces held above by 2 lags in each piece? What depth framing menber will the lag go into? A 10" lag suggests a 2 x 12" joist. Putting a 10 " lag in a 2x6 doesn't have a greater holding power then a 5" lag.
Ron
Old 10-30-2010, 05:38 AM   #13

patio swing install

it'll be 1/4" thick 2" angle continious length with lags going into a 2x12. I may be able to get some 3/8" angle, but not sure. Right now my family of five weighs in at about 500-525. So no sumos but only time will tell with the little ones...

Advertisement