Patio Slab - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Patio Slab

We bought our home 2 years ago. It is an ICF home. The patio slab is 10'x32'x6". I've noticed that at the corner where the slab meets the house it would stay moist for about 2 months after a good rain. Well today I had a 1lb ball peen in my hand. It slips out and the ball end lands on it and punches a nice round hole in it. Seems my slab is not 6" thick but 1/8" thick and packed with some kind of !@#$ paper material over the pad material. Is this standard practice now or did I just get screwed on a new home? Any help will be appreciated.

Advertisement

hc84cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Patio Slab

This is not standard practice anywhere I know of.
Why did you think it was 6" to begin with? Normal thickness would be 4".
What you do depends on what's there now. Worst case is that you remove the entire slab.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Patio Slab

A few pictures would help....so where is the moisture coming from? Also....concrete at 1/8 of an inch in thickness would not support any weight....without further details, it sounds like the patio was poured over trash left in the forms, and no, most pro's would not do this. A call to your builder may at least locate the sub that did the work.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

Patio Slab

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc84cj7 View Post
We bought our home 2 years ago. It is an ICF home. The patio slab is 10'x32'x6". I've noticed that at the corner where the slab meets the house it would stay moist for about 2 months after a good rain. Well today I had a 1lb ball peen in my hand. It slips out and the ball end lands on it and punches a nice round hole in it. Seems my slab is not 6" thick but 1/8" thick and packed with some kind of !@#$ paper material over the pad material. Is this standard practice now or did I just get screwed on a new home? Any help will be appreciated.
Not standard practice at all. I personally doubt the slab is actually 6", as it would be overkill IMO, but I'd also be surprised if the majority o fit was much under 4" thick as well. You can always check the thickness in another section of the slab by drilling though ii's entirety with a long 3/16" concrete bit, in a control joint of course.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote