Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #1

Share |

patio extension cover

I want to add a cover over this extension but also want to wall in the right side and wall in half of the front. Has anyone seen this done with just using a pergola/arbor and a wooden wall or should I tie into the existing patio cover to form one large cover and then build a normal brick wall? Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
patio extension cover-patio2.jpg   patio extension cover-patio1.jpg  

giddyporker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #2

patio extension cover

How tall of a wall and what kind? Might depend on your city but you may not be able to put it on the slab without additional foundation. You've definitely got options and should be easily doable.

As for the covering itself - yes also. A ledger board could be anchored to your house with posts on the outside edge of the deck (they may need to be set off of your deck again depending upon foundation requirements) and then build the cover this way. If you can post more details...

geograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #3

patio extension cover

I want the brick wall to be as high as the patio cover on teh far right side. That will be a complete wall of brick almost like a new room on off the back. The slab is 4 inches thick so footers might be necessary.

Am thinking that it is best just to tie into the exsiting patio cover and make it one large patio cover. I think this would look the best but might be the more expensive route.

On the other hand a nice arbor would look good as well. I have searched and searched but cant find any pics of what i want to do.

Bottom line is that i want a wall at one end and then a wall to semi close it in due to sun and rain coming in directly at the patio.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
"You can do anything"-Mom

patio extension cover

How are you planning on framing the wall?

Its my understanding that you have to have a wall in order to "apply" the brick fascia to. Either framed with wood/studs or maybe a CMU wall. Either way you do it you are going to have to demo that concrete pad a little and then pour a foundation to support the weight of the brick and framing above grade. Since it will be so close to your house you will need to extend the foundation/footer down to where the footer of your house is.

I dont see any basement windows to worse case scenario you are on slab and need to extent the footer of your new brick wall down to frost. I dont know where you are located so I can't even guess about your frost depth.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #5

patio extension cover

You could definitely extend your existing cover, but definitely will need additional foundation. Easiest thing regarding the wall would probably be to extend it as part of the cover extension and frame it out with maybe some 2x6 - but agree CMU would also be a good choice as well. How are your current supports placed? Is there additional footing in place? They aren't just set on top of the 4" slab are they?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #6

patio extension cover

Slab is tied into home foundation with rebar. No footers on the new part of the pad. INstead of demo could i dig under and place footers? Or am i asking for trouble?

I liek the CMU idea but a simple wood frame would be ligther and i would think hold jsut as well.

I am in Dallas so no basement and frost not a big issue.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #7

patio extension cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyporker View Post
Slab is tied into home foundation with rebar. No footers on the new part of the pad. INstead of demo could i dig under and place footers? Or am i asking for trouble?

I liek the CMU idea but a simple wood frame would be ligther and i would think hold jsut as well.

I am in Dallas so no basement and frost not a big issue.
IF you are going to do framed wall or cmu you will need a continuous footer because it is a distributed load wall. If you were going to do columns (point loads) like are on your existing patio you could demo a small section and dig down for a footer.

I dont know what your budget is but I would do something like this.

Get rid of the existing roof structure but use the structural support to create one roof. then you can frame a wall on the right side, sheath it, install your brick ties, and masonry it up.
Attached Thumbnails
patio extension cover-patio2-new.jpg  
Old 02-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #8

patio extension cover

why not build a wooden wall on cover it with cedar shingles? Could do some scalloped shingles or pattern. Too much brick can be over whelming to the eye, this would give you a different architectural feature and if it's just a partition wall (built from slab to bottom of roof - non supporting) you don't need a footing under it. The column for your roof would though (pier foundation)

just my humble thoughts ....

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #9

patio extension cover

Yes - a framed wall will be lighter - but you'll have to treat it like any exterior wall of a home so that the wood stays protected. Again - you would have to check with the city, but a wall that height you will probably have to fill and fully rebar the entire height - and you would want to! Your extension is probably 3000psi. Best bet is to take in your pictures to your city and just simply talk to them to get your best option - but all of it can definitely be done.

BTW - what part of Dallas? I live in the area and am somewhat familiar with some of the cities so might be able to give you some idea of what you are looking at (ps. - I'm not a GC and looking for work!).
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #10

patio extension cover

Great input and ideas fellas. Giving me some things to think about. I appreciate your help.

I am in McKinney/Frisco. I dont know my budget yet...i want it done right so i dont want to go cheap. THis will be my mancave and i want to permanently keep a tv out there w/o haveing to worry about the weather.

I like the wood wall with cedar shingles idea. Didnt think of that at all.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #11

patio extension cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyporker View Post
I like the wood wall with cedar shingles idea. Didnt think of that at all.
Glad you liked the idea.

if you decide of this you could frame your wall as a partition wall. 2x studs at 24" o.c. with wood structural panel sheathing attached to both side (plywood, osb). wrap the wall with building wrap (typar, tyvek) on all sides. use at minimum a preservative treated sill plate anchored to your slab with power nails, tapcons, etc. Nail to the top plate of the wall to your roof beam (I'd probably keep the hip roof style and lay over the existing roof).

install your shingles/shakes in a decorative pattern, or in traditional rows.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #12

patio extension cover

sorry, missed the part about "man cave" .....

building wrap on the exterior of the wall, maybe some nice wood siding on the interior like wide pine boards (if this space will be enclosed and weather tight) for a rustic feel.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #13

patio extension cover

Here is what I'd do, just a quick design in sketchup.

robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #14

patio extension cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
Here is what I'd do, just a quick design in sketchup.

Lightbulb!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #15

patio extension cover

Wow...that is nice....and almost exactly what i had in my head (minus the fireplace since we have a firepit area in the backyard already). Thank you.