Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

Patio drainage

I have a house in Florida, and I have a screened in patio area, but no drainage if I want to clean the patio area with a hose. The water wants to drain away from the house, but the aluminum bars stop the water from leaving, the water will just sit there for days until it evaporates away. Can I drill holes through that aluminum, or maybe under the white aluminum and make drainage holes through the concrete floor maybe. Just looking for ideas since I like to spray down the area once a month to get the pollen and dirt out.

streetneons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 83

Patio drainage

http://s67.photobucket.com/user/STRE...tml?sort=3&o=1

streetneons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,358

Patio drainage

howzabout using a squeegee & pushing it out the door instead after you brush-broom patio w/detergent-bleach solution ?

you probably won't affect the structural integrity by drilling drain holes in the right spots however dirt will fall out of suspension & lie along the alum btm chord
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,058

Patio drainage

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
howzabout using a squeegee & pushing it out the door instead after you brush-broom patio w/detergent-bleach solution ?

you probably won't affect the structural integrity by drilling drain holes in the right spots however dirt will fall out of suspension & lie along the alum btm chord
Ayuh,.... Ants, 'n other critters will use those holes, as doorways too,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Patio drainage

I wouldn't recommend drill holes in anything. If you drill them in the bottoms of the aluminum base - they're hollow and the water is going to get into them

I like the idea of the broom and squeeqee. Another option is to use a wet/dry shop vac to get the residual water up.
DL's husband is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DL's husband For This Useful Post: