Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #1

Share |
Question

patio door installation question

Does the patio door sit on the subfloor or on top of the finished floor?
I am asking because the previous owners installed it on top of the finished floor, which was really just an extension of the deck, so the patio door was installed on top of a deck board.

I have since built a new deck, lower than the level of the 3-seasons room, and have removed the rotted deck board that the door was installed on.

So the question is, do I install a new deck board to finish the floor in the 3 seasons room, and the patio door on top of that?
OR
Do I install the patio door on top of the subfloor and the install the deck board floor piece to finish up the installation?

On deck bord?
On subfloor?

old door

rough opening, still needs to be framed in, you can see where I removed the deck board, exposing the subflooring.

gintaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #2

got my answer after looking at the bottom of the new Pella 450 series.. the deck board used as flooring in the patio will butt up against the bottom of the door nicely, giving it a nice finished look instead of having the door protrude above the flooring.

gintaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #3

Hi: I need to replace a Pella sliding glass door too. The original door opening is about 4 inches higher than the deck surface.

The current door seems to be a couple of inches deeper than my exterior wall and so it seemed to kind of hang off the outside of the house - no support was put in under the bottom outside sill. After 15 years, the door no longer closes properly.

Installers have told me that I need a door that is not as "deep" and others tell me that Pella doors come in only one depth.

Did you have this problem? Am I being fed a load of crap, and the issue can simply be addressed by proper external support?

Thanks much - Nancy
nawhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
dIYHell

You need to have the door completely supported, most doors/frames are built to fit within a 2X4 walls is there something wierd with your wall that won't allow a 2x4 frame to in it?
rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote