Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #1

Share |

Patio door: direction..............

As of today, I am having a new Harvey slinding door installed in my rental townhouse. Visiting the job, I discovered that the new door is sliding in the opposite direction from the door being replaced ....or....the new door is sliding from left to right (left closed-right to open).

Is this a bad thing? Seems ok. Do patio doors open either way so that my left to right opening door is reasonaboly normal?

BTWay, the door installer was impressed with Harvey quality. I chose Harvey because I saw the least complaints about Harvey doors when I was trying to choose a door.

Appreciate your thoughts on my patio door direction.

Thanks.

Rivertender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertender View Post
As of today, I am having a new Harvey slinding door installed in my rental townhouse. Visiting the job, I discovered that the new door is sliding in the opposite direction from the door being replaced ....or....the new door is sliding from left to right (left closed-right to open).

Is this a bad thing? Seems ok. Do patio doors open either way so that my left to right opening door is reasonaboly normal?

BTWay, the door installer was impressed with Harvey quality. I chose Harvey because I saw the least complaints about Harvey doors when I was trying to choose a door.

Appreciate your thoughts on my patio door direction.

Thanks.
When you order a patio door, you tell the salesperson which door you want to operate.
I take it, you did not do this, which is more then a little odd, because how does the door get ordered if you don't pick a model?
The operating door setup usually is chosen based on the room setup, where the staircase is or just because you like one choice better then another.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #3

What does the Unit owner think?????????

If you can enter & exit nicely & it has not upset the furniture arrangements.OK
I think that you are stuck with it anyway.
jankencanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Mod

Who actually ordered the door?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #5

...........doors is slightly p-ssy to work with. They hate to talk to the consumer and insist you work through a contractor, so there is no Harvey salesperson to speak to.

Contractor came in, I pointed to the door, he saw the original door, measured, made notes, and ordered. Contractor is the salesperson/installer. Harvey took 4 or 5 weeks to make the door and then ship it to the contractor. He claims to do these doors all the time so it never occured to me to check his notes.

Contractor, of course, now suddenly claims I approved his door diagram so he is - he hopes/thinks free of any responsibility.

Man, such an unneccessary bump in the road and yet, sort of, so predictible with home improvement contractors. I got this guy from Angie's list, so his claimed experience at patio doors and the validation from Angie's sure seemed like this would be the last thing to happen.

The install seems, however, to be OK with exiting and entering the townhouse and furniture seems to be OK.

I agree that I am stuck with it....but I am still 800.00 ahead of the contractor and I am trying to decide if I am OK with paying full price for the opposite of what I ordered.
Rivertender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Mod

Door diagram??? He showed you a drawing of the door opening opposite of the old one.

Iím curious, when youíre standing outside looking in which side of the new door opens?

If itís the left side then itís referred to as a XO. If itís the right then itís a OX.

The XO is by far the most common and even considered standard. If the original was a OX it would be a pretty easy mistake to order a XO.

Usually the only reason you would want a OX is if the room layout required it.

Either way unless you signed off on the specific change the contractor is liable and should make it right.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertender View Post

Contractor came in, I pointed to the door, he saw the original door, measured, made notes, and ordered. Contractor is the salesperson/installer. Harvey took 4 or 5 weeks to make the door and then ship it to the contractor. He claims to do these doors all the time so it never occured to me to check his notes.
Did it occur to you that he should have given you a contract detailing everything he was doing and you signing the contract?

Quote:
Contractor, of course, now suddenly claims I approved his door diagram so he is - he hopes/thinks free of any responsibility.
The door should be the same direction as the existing.

Quote:
Man, such an unneccessary bump in the road and yet, sort of, so predictible with home improvement contractors.
And it's also predictable for homeowners like yourself who doesn't do the proper research finding a qualified licensed and insured contractor. If he was he would have given you certificate of insurance and liability and a contract for you to sign detailing EVERYTHING that has to be done. Did he do all this?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
Framing Contractor

Is the light switch on the stationary door side now?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #9

Ouch!
Maybe check to see if the door is "reversible"?
Some are.
(Yeah, the light switch )

rossfingal
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #10
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Is the light switch on the stationary door side now?
Most important point....

And...is the track for the sliding portion on the inside?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Most important point....

And...is the track for the sliding portion on the inside?

I am not sure about the harvey brand, but Pella doors designer series have the tracks on the outside. The lower level vinyl series has the tracks on the inside.

I would think it depends on the design as to where the track is??
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #12

How does a "legit" contractor come in, look at the existing door to be replaced, then order the opposite? I don't care what kind of diagram he claims he showed you says, he is responsable for ordering the correct door. Whenever I replace a patio or man door, I always check the new door for the proper swing before I begin to tear out the old door. You should have straightened out this problem before he got the new door installed. And if you don't get this issue resolved, I would be in touch with Angie's list to let them know about it.

Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (10-03-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #13

I know my door could have been spun 180 degrees so the top would be on the bottom and it would open the other way. Check to see if that would work with yours.

mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote