DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Patio door choice in PA

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Ron6519 
#1 ·
I want to replace a large picture window(70") with French doors. What brand door is best? I read a lot of conflicting views.I think fiberglass is what I want but I am clueless. Would the French doors that both open be a source of cold air where they join? Is a fixed door with one opening better for energy efficiency? Help an old lady in W. PA. Please!

#2 ·
I have the dual opening Frenchwood door from Andersen. Tight as a drum. Great locking mechanism and can have a keyed entrance lock(Schlage) I had keyed to match the front door lock.

#3 ·
patio door choice

Thanks for the info. I'll check out Andersen,although I've heard they are pricey. A local door/window store has a pretty nice fiberglass door made by Masonite. Do you know anything about them? Also, I was looking into retractable screens. I would like an unobstructed view but would like screens as option. Does anyone know if they have to be installed at same time as door? Trying to spread out the cost a little. Have had hail damage here and will be getting new roof and siding so if I'm going to change anything on exterior it has to be now before new siding. I wasn't planning on the doors this soon but it's now or never. All our contractors are so busy with storm damage repair ,it's hard to get one to give me estimate/door size so I can get actual door cost.

#4 ·
Thanks to all for info. Will be going with Andersen door not fiberglass. The fiberglass does breakdown and the andersen french doors are so well contructed making it worth the price. The telescoping screens are only for outward doors so I'll get the sliding and can remove for winter/visual reasons. Comes in standard smaller sizes too so will be able to use the existing space where the picture window is without paying for custom sizing. Now just waiting for contractor to show up and give me actual measurements so I can order. They are overwhelmed here still with spring storm damage repair. thanks PA Senior

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.