Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 113

Patio Cover or not?

I removed my deck from the backyard and will replace it with cement. I was curious if I should install a patio cover.

The backyard is 24 feet deep by 53 feet wide. The tree is in front of the half cicle window. When looking at the photo with the windows, I will lay cement from the backyard door all the way to the right (aligning with the side of the house).

The backyard faces north so the sun is straight above during summer.

Since the backyard is not very deep, would a patio cover like a lattice, or any other type, be appealing?

It might provide some privacy from the neighbor in the back, since the bush just barely covers their window. They have a patio cover, but it extends really close to the fence, so it doesn't look very appealing.
Attached Thumbnails
Patio Cover or not?-back1.jpg   Patio Cover or not?-back2.jpg   Patio Cover or not?-back3.jpg   Patio Cover or not?-back4.jpg  

greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,338

Patio Cover or not?

With a tile roof and stucco siding I'd go with a free standing pergala.
If there concerns about privacy there's no reason one side could not have a few 2 X 4's run horizontal and just attach some vinyl lattis to them.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #3

Patio Cover or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
With a tile roof and stucco siding I'd go with a free standing pergala.
If there concerns about privacy there's no reason one side could not have a few 2 X 4's run horizontal and just attach some vinyl lattis to them.
Nice idea. I wasn't clear on what the difference between a vinyl or aluminum pergola, or whether they are the same.

Since I will be laying cement, I guess I could lay the cement first and than design the pergola later, by just installing posts right on top of the cement?

I attached a few photos of what I think you were mentioning about the siding. It could be solid or a lattice.
Attached Thumbnails
Patio Cover or not?-free-standing-pergola.jpg   Patio Cover or not?-vinyl_corner_pergola.jpg   Patio Cover or not?-lattice.jpg  
Old 04-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,338

Patio Cover or not?

The differance is one's aluminum and ones made of vinyl,
Not cheap but if built right should last a life time with little more then a cleaning once in a while.
A soild fence wall would block the air flow so keep that in mind.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #5

Patio Cover or not?

Curious if I can first lay the cement and than worry about the pergola design later. I wasn't sure if the brackets drill right down into the cement or are they sunk into the cement prior to pouring.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Patio Cover or not?

Well i think it's a good idea. According to your space as discussed it is enough space to add patio cover. There are new versions of patio cover available in market.
GeorgeEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 600

Patio Cover or not?

There are also several varieties of retractable patio covers available that rollup and rollout as required. They can be controlled either manually or electrically. An advantage of them would be that you could have full sun on the patio if you wanted it.

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
patio cover