Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Patio Cover

I'm looking for some guidance on attaching a porch cover to a brick facade house. Not sure what is relevant but I'll give some background. The house is in Toronto, so snow is an issue. The house sits on about 24" of cinder block because of the basement and then turns into brick (I presume a facade as it is plaster and lathe inside). The wall I want it to attach too is single story but is quite high (partly because of the basement raising the height) and therefore I don't want the cover to tie into the existing roof line but to be secured maybe 24" below the existing roof line. The attached Sketchup pic should give a reasonable idea of the design. Approcimately 12' wide and extending 14' from the house. The plan is 6x6 posts and 2x6 joists.

The main issue is with the securing of the ledger board to the house. I have read a lot of information saying that because it is a facade, you can't just lag bolt into the brick, you have to hit the internal wood framing. Without ripping out the plaster inside the room, I have no clue how to transfer the framing placement successfully outside and then be accurate enough to hit every stud dead center. That just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Nor am I keen to rip out a 12' by 6" section of brick to secure the ledger too. Does anyone know if code in Toronto allows epoxying threaded rods perhaps and bolting to those?

Another solution would be to make the structure freestanding and butt it up against the wall. However, it seems to me that even lag bolting to the wall would be more structurally sound then this just sitting on 4 posts? What stops it swaying in high winds? Are bolts only at the bottom enough to prevent this? If so, how do you dig footings for it so close to a basement wall, that seems dangerous too.

I am very confused as to what my options would be

Thanks for any help or guidance that could be provided
Attached Thumbnails
Patio Cover-porch-cover.jpg  

Lacklustre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Patio Cover

Cross bracing will take care of the stabilization of a free standing structure.
You'll need to upgrade the joists, as 2x6's with that span and a snow load won't be large enough. I'd be in the 2x10 range.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #3

Patio Cover

Thanks for the advice on the joist size Ron, I can go larger without any issues. If i go freestanding, presumable i move 12" or so from the wall and then cantilever the joists so the ledger (rim joist or whatever it becomes) appears to be touching the wall. then use flashing to cover the small gap.

Is there an issue using one of those augers that close to a basement wall?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Patio Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacklustre View Post
Thanks for the advice on the joist size Ron, I can go larger without any issues. If i go freestanding, presumable i move 12" or so from the wall and then cantilever the joists so the ledger (rim joist or whatever it becomes) appears to be touching the wall. then use flashing to cover the small gap.

Is there an issue using one of those augers that close to a basement wall?
I'd get this structure engineered professionally. A free standing structure with no walls needs to be braced properly and might need more posts then you think to get the job done. The problem with posts close to a structure is that the holes need to go down to the footing(of the structure) if they are within 5 feet of the structure.
Might be easier to remove the bricks and bolt the ledger to the framing.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Patio Cover

I think you may be better of tying this porch to the existing roof line.
Your building inspector will most likely say something like this ;

Masonry veneer shall not support any vertical load other than the dead load of the veneer above..

So what if its 24" higher that you have originally anticipated + you don't have to worry about flashing...
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #6

Patio Cover

Thanks, the reluctance to tie in to the existing roof was more of a cost thing than anything else. I am not that confident to start chopping up the existing roof myself, I can see that spiralling down into problems and me living in the doghouse for a few months

And although she would give up her desired look for practicality, she wanted the porch roof to be tin.

However, either way, it looks like this is outside the scope of my own abilities, or at least some of it. I shall get a GC in and see whether they would be prepared to do the tricky part and leave me to do the rest

Thanks everyone

Last edited by Lacklustre; 06-03-2011 at 07:30 AM.