Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #1

Share |

Patio Awning Material Type

Hello again,

I'm not sure if this goes here or in Carpentry, so I will try here first.

I am planning on building a patio awning (roof) for my paver patio. The awning will run 16'x10', running downhill at 2ft over the 10 foot span. The support columns will be 4x4's or 6x6's, the ledger board, joists and end cap will all be 2x6 or 2x8, 16"OC. I have two questions.

Do I have to use treated lumber since this is an outdoor project?

I am wrestling with this because it will be all flashed up and have a roof over it, so even though it will be outside, it will still be "out of the elements". Untreated support columns would be painted with an exterior paint, if selected.

Secondly, Does the slope of my roof designate this as being a low slope roof, meaning I would not be able to use asphalt shingles?

My roof plan in the event of a low slope would be the Fiberlite Corrugated roofing panels available at Menards. Asphalt would be cheaper though.

Not sure if it matters, but the structure will be mounted to my brick house about 2 feet below the current soffit and fascia. There are some overhead cable and phone lines that restrict me from building off the soffit directly, or going just below it.

Building plans include bolting the ledger board to the house. The 4 support columns would be mounted to 6"d x 3ft deep concrete footings.

Lastly, I live in the Chicagloand area, in case that matters.

McSweny1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #2

Post a picture of where you plan on building it.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

Here is a picture of the area. The 2'x2' stones are coming out, a 6" paver base, 1"sand base, and pavers are going to go in.

The awningit will end roughly a foot to the right of the window. Also the top of the awning will be installed under the power, phone, and cable lines running overhead.
Attached Thumbnails
Patio Awning Material Type-wp_000007.jpg  
Old 08-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #4

You would so much better off starting this roof on top of the main house roof not on the side of the house for several reasons.

Any roofing will last longer with a steeper pitch.
It's not a big deal to build the roof around that power mast, it's done all the time. You use a split boot to seal it up.

You will end up with a leak free better sealed roof.
It will give you more clearance to clear the doors when they open.
It will open up the types of roofing that can be used.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
You would so much better off starting this roof on top of the main house roof not on the side of the house for several reasons.
Would I do that by taking the existing gutter and fascia down, and cantilevering to the existing roof rafter?